uTorrent v1.8.5 deadlocks in device.c:device_section

Questions about Wine on Linux
dma_k
Level 1
Level 1

uTorrent v1.8.5 deadlocks in device.c:device_section

Post by dma_k »

After updating Wine from 1.6.2-20 to 1.8.7-2, uTorrent v1.8.5 does not start anymore. Wine emulator prints the following to the console in endless loop:

Code: Select all

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7fc7d5a0 "device.c: device_section" wait timed out in thread 0019, blocked by 001a, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7fc7d5a0 "device.c: device_section" wait timed out in thread 0019, blocked by 001a, retrying (60 sec)
The issue is similar to this one and that one.

notepad.exe works just fine.

I have killed all wine applications and tried again but that does not help.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: uTorrent v1.8.5 deadlocks in device.c:device_section

Post by Bob Wya »

dma_k wrote:After updating Wine from 1.6.2-20 to 1.8.7-2, uTorrent v1.8.5 does not start anymore. Wine emulator prints the following to the console in endless loop:
Both of the those versions of Wine are no longer supported...

The current development version of Wine is 2.9 and the current stable version release is 2.0.1.
See WineHQ Download (for your unspecified Linux distribution)...

We've recently had an "enthusiast" (understatement) - posting about successfully running uTorrrent on Wine Staging 2.4 - on these forums...
See WineHQ Forums: uTorrent (2.0.4) with WINE (1.7.30) - Tracker Error 12157 ...

Bob
dma_k
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine deadlocks in device.c:device_section

Post by dma_k »

One more observation: when I run Windows Explorer (wine ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/explorer.exe) and click on "My Computer", Explorer hangs with the same message printed to console. So the problem is not uTorrent specific.
Bob Wya wrote:Both of the those versions of Wine are no longer supported...
The current development version of Wine is 2.9 and the current stable version release is 2.0.1.
Unfortunately the version 1.8.7-2 is the only available in sid (more or less stable Debian repository) and version 2.0.1-1 has put into experimental few weeks ago. Alas the availability of Wine stable releases in Debian is delayed...

I will roll back to Wine v1.6.2, because it seems the only way out at the moment.
dimesio

Re: Wine deadlocks in device.c:device_section

Post by dimesio »

dma_k wrote: Unfortunately the version 1.8.7-2 is the only available in sid (more or less stable Debian repository) and version 2.0.1-1 has put into experimental few weeks ago. Alas the availability of Wine stable releases in Debian is delayed...
Obviously you didn't bother to follow the link to the WineHQ downloads that Bob provided. The WineHQ packages are up-to-date. The instructions for Debian are here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
Leopard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Leopard »

I don't get that kind of requests.

First ; look at the native Linux version of desired program.

Second; if there is no native native version on Linux just use equivalent of this program on Linux.

You can use Deluge , Qbittorrent , Transmission on Linux which all of them are open-source and there is no difference from Utorrent. All of them are working on Bittorrent structure.

Is there something special about Utorrent or you just don't know are there other options?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Leopard wrote:I don't get this kind of requests.

First, look at the native Linux version of desired program.
Then take a look at ... uTorrent (2.0.4) with WINE (1.7.30) - Tracker Error 12157 ... Talk about frustration!! :roll:

What annoys me is that, at least with qbittorrent, you can file bugs...
If you're not happy with the performance of the client or have some other issue...
That would benefit everyone (on Linux and BSD -based systems) that is using this cross-platform software.

Plus people are asking how to play native Linux games under Wine - like Civilization VI and Euro Truck Simulator... Facepalm...

People don't appear to understand that Wine is a measure of last resort...

Bob
Leopard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Leopard »

Bob Wya wrote:
Leopard wrote:I don't get this kind of requests.

First, look at the native Linux version of desired program.
Then take a look at ... uTorrent (2.0.4) with WINE (1.7.30) - Tracker Error 12157 ... Talk about frustration!! :roll:

What annoys me is that, at least with qbittorrent, you can file bugs...
If you're not happy with the performance of the client or have some other issue...
That would benefit everyone (on Linux and BSD -based systems) that is using this cross-platform software.

Plus people are asking how to play native Linux games under Wine - like Civilization VI and Euro Truck Simulator... Facepalm...

People don't appear to understand that Wine is a measure of last resort...

Bob
Agreed.

If there is a Linux version of an app , way to go is that native version. If people tries to every piece of software ( that also has a Linux version or alternative ) on Wine then my words are clear : Go use Windows instead , don't bother with Wine.

Wine's goal is running some essential apps that you can't find equivalent on Linux natively. Let's say Skyrim or Doom. For example ; i'm running OpenMW for running Morrowind on Linux , not Wine.

When people didn't see a GitHub page for a software they are thinking that software is flawless.

Strange...
mainliner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mainliner »

I'll echo the other contributors asking why are you wasting everyone's time asking how to run an Windows application in Linux with Wine when that application has a native Linux version!?

I'll make it easier for you: utorrent for Debian/Ubuntu
Install that and desist.
dma_k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dma_k »

dimesio wrote:Obviously you didn't bother to follow the link to the WineHQ downloads that Bob provided. The WineHQ packages are up-to-date. The instructions for Debian are here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
Dear dimesio,

Thanks for the information. I've tried these versions
  • Wine 2.0.3-1 from Debain sid
  • Wine 2.0.3 from Wine stable
  • Wine 2.21.0 from Wine staging
  • Wine 3.0 from Wine development
and none of them worked.
Leopard wrote: First ; look at the native Linux version of desired program.
Second; if there is no native native version on Linux just use equivalent of this program on Linux.
You can use Deluge , Qbittorrent , Transmission on Linux which all of them are open-source and there is no difference from Utorrent. All of them are working on Bittorrent structure.
Is there something special about Utorrent or you just don't know are there other options?
mainliner wrote:I'll echo the other contributors asking why are you wasting everyone's time asking how to run an Windows application in Linux with Wine when that application has a native Linux version!?
I'll make it easier for you: utorrent for Debian/Ubuntu
Install that and desist.
I agree with above and appreciate your input. The only stopping factor is how to migrate say, 100 seeding torrents from Windows to Linux version of uTorrent (or any other torrent client)? Anyone has this experience? Please share...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dma_k wrote: Thanks for the information. I've tried these versions
  • Wine 2.0.3-1 from Debain sid
  • Wine 2.0.3 from Wine stable
  • Wine 2.21.0 from Wine staging
  • Wine 3.0 from Wine development
and none of them worked.
By "none of them worked" do you mean uTorrent had the same problem in all Wine versions you tested?

You haven't mentioned reinstalling uTorrent to a clean wineprefix in the latest version of Wine. If you haven't done that, you should.
dma_k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dma_k »

If somebody would be interested... I confirm that uTorrent v1.8.5 works fine on wine32:i386 (4.0-1) from Debian Buster. With minor glitches...