How to run a .msi file?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
hankrogers

How to run a .msi file?

Post by hankrogers »

Hi,

I am new to the whole thing and have a maybe bit stilly question with a simple solution.
I want to intall a Programm on my Mac using wine, its a .msi file.

So I type wine msiexec /i mccfile_vista78.msi in the terminal and get this
-bash: wine: command not found

Maybe its just in the wrong folder. Where should the .msi file be to be opened with terminal ?

Thank you
dimesio

Re: How to run a .msi file?

Post by dimesio »

The error message says it's wine that can't be found. Where did you get Wine from and how did you install it?
Where should the .msi file be to be opened with terminal ?
It can be anywhere you want. You just have to cd to the directory containing it first or use wine start and the full path.
hankrogers

Post by hankrogers »

I have version 1.6.1 downloaded it from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org and installed it the normal way.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Winebottler is not supported here, as it makes unsupported changes to Wine, and the Wine version yours is based on is obsolete.

Try the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
hankrogers

Post by hankrogers »

Ok. So I downloaded the version you mentioned and installed it. XQuartz is installed as well.
As I see it, all Windows apps are started from the terminal window.

Now I tried it with Total Commander. This is what I got.

MacBook-Air-4:~ XXXXXXXXXX$ wine tcmd900ax32.exe
fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.0-rc5 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
fixme:ntdll:NtCreateNamedPipeFile Message mode not supported, falling back to byte mode.
fixme:ntdll:NtCreateNamedPipeFile Message mode not supported, falling back to byte mode.
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tcmd900ax32.exe"
MacBook-Air-4:~ XXXXXXXX$ fixme:ntdll:NtCreateNamedPipeFile Message mode not supported, falling back to byte mode.

Seems there is no Windows created. Shouldn't it do that when I start wine? The other version had an icon on the topbar of the finder.
sprezzatura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprezzatura »

You have to start Wine in a special Wine terminal window. Double-click on the "Wine Devel.app" icon.