Wine 2.0 RC4 with MS Office 2010 Pro problems

Questions about Wine on Linux
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Wine 2.0 RC4 with MS Office 2010 Pro problems

Post by Nice10150 »

I have several flavors of Linux installed on my main desktop I use Fedora 25 Desktop and on my notebook I run Ubuntu 16.10 – both run the official Wine 2.0 RC4 version.

On the Ubuntu 16.10 notebook I have installed MS Office 2010 Pro and all seems to work fine. I used the identical installation procedure for my desktop Fedora 25 computer and MS Office 2010 Pro installs perfectly, I can even find the MS Office programs in the Menu under Wine… but when I start MS Word 2010 and start typing… after about 7 characters MS Word 2010 crashes.

A friend of my, who also uses Fedora 25 Desktop has MS Office working since Wine 2.0 RC2 and only speaks positive…

So I do something wrong, but what I have no clue….
fjfrackiewicz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine 2.0 RC4 with MS Office 2010 Pro problems

Post by fjfrackiewicz »

You may want to ask your friend if they used any winetricks.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Word 2010 works fine here in 2.0-rc4. The only override needed is for riched20, and you don't need winetricks for that, as Office installs its own version.

Post terminal output from the nonworking system.
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

The terminal output from running MS Word 2010 (WINWORD.exe) is pretty long so I attached it as a log file (can open in any text editor).
Attachments
Terminal-output-MSWord2010.zip
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

According to the log, you're using wine-staging. I'm using the development branch. Please test the development branch, and if the problem is not present, file a bug for wine-staging.

You also don't have the override set for riched20. Set it to native in winecfg. While you're there, also disable dw20.exe; that's Office's crash handler, which is currently intercepting the backtrace. (It's not on the list, so you'll have to type it in.)
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

I understand..... I actual have the same problem with Wine 2.0 RC4 from winehq.org, so if you say you can fix it... I’m happy to remove Wine 2.0 RC4 Staging and go back to the standard version. I just installed Wine Staging as sometimes things work in Wine Staging that not work in the regular Wine release.

I also tried the riched20 override to all settings possible and also have had the dw20.exe disabled and enabled… the error message is a bit different, but MS Word 2010 crashes at the same moment and same time…

I have the feeling that it has something to do with proofing (spelling checker) as compared to my MS Windows 10 machine the moment Wine with MS Word 2010 crashes is remarkable close to when MS Word checks the spelling…..
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Disabling dw20.exe won't stop the crash; it will enable Wine's crash handler to capture the backtrace, which may give us a better idea what's going wrong.

Retest with riched20 set to native only and dw20.exe disabled. There should be no other overrides, and the Windows version should be XP. If it still crashes, you should get Wine's popup crash dialog; use that to save the backtrace. Then attach both the console output and backtrace.
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

Here the backtrace file for the MS Word 2010 problems I have.
Attachments
backtrace.zip
MS Office Pro 2010 install problems
(3.82 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

According to the backtrace, you are using native .NET. You shouldn't have installed any native dlls. Try a clean wineprefix, and follow the instructions in the AppDB for installing Office 2010. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=17336

What version of Office Pro 2010 are you using? (Go to File, Help; it's on the right-hand side under About Microsoft Word.)
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

Sorry I’m trying everything I can find on Internet and I also tried to use native MSXML6 and DOTNET20 of course that didn’t help…

I did a complete new install, maybe best I tell every step I do…

I create the wineprefix:

[user@localhost ~]$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine32" WINEARCH=win32 wineboot

I have my MS Office in folder:

user@localhost MSOffice]$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine32" WINEARCH=win32 wine setup.exe

Change the riched20 override and disable dw20.exe:

user@localhost MSOffice]$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine32" WINEARCH=win32 winetricks

Select the default wineprefix, after that I select Run winecfg to change the Libraries settings. I select Apply, after that OK.

I quite winetricks, and close the terminal window.

Under Applications, Wine I select Microsoft Word 2010, I get a pop-up for User Name, which I fill in… after that MS Words opens and I get another pup-up window that says “Help Protect and Improve Microsoft Office” I get 3 options how to install updates for Office… I select “Don’t make changes”.

I now have MS Word on my desktop, and I can explore all menu options… But when I type ‘Hello’ and hit the space bar… I get the Program Error Pop-up – the backtrace is included.

I’m using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 14.0.7015.1000 (32-bit)

The computer is a Intel Core i5-4670K, with 16GB memory

I’m using Fedora 25 x86-64 with Gnome 3.22.2
Attachments
backtrace.zip
Latest backtrace clean Wine 2.0 RC4 install
(4 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I also need to see the console output leading up to the crash.

FYI, you don't need winetricks to run winecfg. Just open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine32" winecfg
You also don't need to specify the WINEARCH on an existing wineprefix; the architecture is set when the wineprefix is created, so that's the only time you need to specify it.

Your version number is the same as mine, so the SP level is not the issue. Is yours the English version? In the past there have been bugs that only affected non-English versions.

Looking back, I noticed you said you were running "the official Wine 2.0 RC4 version." You can't be using WineHQ packages on Fedora 25, because we're not yet building packages for Fedora 25 (bug 41750). So does that mean you built Wine yourself? If so, were there any messages from ./configure about missing dependencies that you ignored? And if you didn't build Wine yourself, where did you get the package from?
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

I know that I not have to run winetricks to get to winecfg, but as I created a new wineprefix a few steps before... running winetricks is easy to start, just a few arrow-up clicks...

I'm not 100% sure what you mean with the console output... Yes the MS Office 2010 version I have is in English. Also on the same computer, in different wineprefix's I also run Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 and CorelDraw
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@dimesio,

There appears to be a Fedora official build of wine 2.0-rc4... See fedora buidsystem: Information for build wine-2.0-0.1.rc4.fc25 ...

I've not updated my laptop - so i can't confirm how well the in-house / fedora-built package works...

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The Fedora distro packages are actually wine-staging, which is why we started building Fedora packages for the development branch here. I suspected from the start that's what was being used, but the OR has claimed to "have the same problem with Wine 2.0 RC4 from winehq.org" so it needs to be clarified exactly what that is.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Nice10150 wrote:I know that I not have to run winetricks to get to winecfg, but as I created a new wineprefix a few steps before... running winetricks is easy to start, just a few arrow-up clicks...
Running winecfg directly would be the same few arrow-up clicks, and change wineboot to winecfg instead of to winetricks. Or are you saying you used winetricks to create the wineprefix? That's not what you posted.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean with the console output...
The same as what you posted in Terminal-output-MSWord2010.zip, but now from a clean wineprefix.

And I still need an answer as to whether you built Wine yourself or are using someone's package (and if so, whose).
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

Have checked everything I have at the moment, and it seems that the Wine version that I build myself is also Wine 2.0 RC4 Staging…

I also checked the version on my Ubuntu notebook and that is also Wine Staging 2.0-rc4. MS Word 2010 works normal on the notebook. I also include a terminal screen output from that system.
Attachments
Wine-Terminal-output-Notebook.txt.zip
The terminal output from the notebook running Wine Staging 2.0 rc4. MS Word 2010 works fine on this computer.
(5.01 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Wine-Terminal-output-Clean.zip
Terminal screen from problem computer running a clean Wine prefix...
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

No I used Winetricks to completely delete everything in the Wine prefix. I find that helpful as Winetricks also removes the menu entries.

I created the new wine prefix with:

[user@localhost ~]$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine32" WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

Hereby I also have the terminal screen when I create the Wine Prefix on the trouble computer.....
Attachments
Terminal-Screen-Prefix-Creating.zip
(871 Bytes) Downloaded 151 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Other than the crash, there's very little difference between the two logs and nothing I can point to as a likely cause of the crash. Both your logs lack a flood of msxml fixmes that I see in my console output from the development branch. Normally that would suggest you used native msxml3, but since you say these are clean wineprefixes, I suppose the fixmes are for something that has been implemented in wine-staging.

So there's some difference in either the underlying systems or your two builds.

Since you're using wine-staging anyway, try the Fedora distro packages. If they don't crash, then the problem is your build. Compare the config.logs of your two builds and look for what you did differently. Even the version of gcc used can make a difference.

If it's not the build, then it's some difference in the host system--a difference in some library, or even the kernel. That can be hard to track down. I'd start by making sure you have all of Wine's 32 bit dependencies, including the "recommended" ones, installed on Fedora.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Nice10150 wrote:Have checked everything I have at the moment, and it seems that the Wine version that I build myself is also Wine 2.0 RC4 Staging…

I also checked the version on my Ubuntu notebook and that is also Wine Staging 2.0-rc4. MS Word 2010 works normal on the notebook. I also include a terminal screen output from that system.
Wine is unable to offer your Office install a working dotnet 2.0 runtime...

Wine-Terminal-output-Clean.txt:fixme:mscoree:get_runtime_info unsupported runtimeinfo flags 50
Wine-Terminal-output-Clean.txt:fixme:mscoree:get_runtime Unrecognized version L"v2.0.0"
On the system, with the crashing Office, when you run:

wine uninstaller
do you see:
Wine Mono⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ 4.6.4
in the list of installed programs?

Ta,
Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: Wine is unable to offer your Office install a working dotnet 2.0 runtime...

Wine-Terminal-output-Clean.txt:fixme:mscoree:get_runtime_info unsupported runtimeinfo flags 50
Wine-Terminal-output-Clean.txt:fixme:mscoree:get_runtime Unrecognized version L"v2.0.0"
Good catch, I didn't notice that. The odd thing, though, is that Wine should have downloaded wine-mono on wineprefix creation if it couldn't find the .msi on the system. And if wine-mono somehow didn't get installed in the wineprefix, the Office 2010 Pro Plus installer should have failed--the AppDB howto for Office 2010 has a section about this. Though that howto is based on the development release, not wine-staging.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote: ... The odd thing, though, is that Wine should have downloaded wine-mono on wineprefix creation if it couldn't find the .msi on the system. And if wine-mono somehow didn't get installed in the wineprefix, the Office 2010 Pro Plus installer should have failed--the AppDB howto for Office 2010 has a section about this. Though that howto is based on the development release, not wine-staging.
Well fedora appear to use an in-tree, seperate wine-mono package: see fedora Git / index : rpms/wine-mono.git ...
The wine-staging 2.0-rc* fedora packages have been updated to have wine-mono 4.6.4 as dependency.

So I can't see any fedora packaging issues (as you'd expect from a tier 1 distro)...

Bob
Nice10150
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nice10150 »

I have Wine-Mono 4.6.4-1.fc25 (noarch) installed, is that maybe the problem?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Nice10150 wrote:I have Wine-Mono 4.6.4-1.fc25 (noarch) installed, is that maybe the problem?
Ahhhhh... Take's chill pill... 8)

What about actually answering my previous question... :lol:
On the system, with the crashing Office, when you run:

wine uninstaller
in your Office Wineprefix.

do you see:
Wine Mono⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ 4.6.4
in the list of installed programs?
It's purely academic whether or not you have the fedora Wine-Mono 4.6.4-1.fc25 package installed...
The question is really whether your Office Wineprefix has the wine-mono 4.6.4 package installed!!

Ta
Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: Well fedora appear to use an in-tree, seperate wine-mono package: see fedora Git / index : rpms/wine-mono.git ...
The wine-staging 2.0-rc* fedora packages have been updated to have wine-mono 4.6.4 as dependency.

So I can't see any fedora packaging issues (as you'd expect from a tier 1 distro)...
It could be a packaging issue. You just reminded me of https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35413. That's not the same problem--the error message was different--but it was caused by Fedora building wine-mono themselves instead of packaging the WineHQ .msi. It's possible this is another problem caused by their unofficial build.

@Nice10150: try uninstalling the Fedora wine-mono and testing with wine-mono from WineHQ.