Make 32-bit WINEPREFIX on 64-bit System

Questions about Wine on Linux
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Make 32-bit WINEPREFIX on 64-bit System

Post by jackerbes »

I am trying to set up the Overdrive Media Console application to run under wine and using the help here to do that:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=76652

It says to do this:

1. Install winetricks
2. With winetricks install WM10
winetricks wmp10
3. Now you will be able to install ODM console:
wine msiexec /i ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi

When I enter the "winetricks wmp10" command from a terminal window I get this error:

Code: Select all

jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ winetricks wmp10
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Executing w_do_call wmp10
Executing load_wmp10
Installer doesn't support 64-bit architecture. Use a 32-bit WINEPREFIX instead.
This FAQ seem to have an answer as to how to create the 32-bit WINEPREFIX but I don't understand it:

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I_cr ... _system.3F

Where that says to enter this command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=path_to_wineprefix winecfg 

It also warns .."use the actual path to the wineprefix) Do not use an existing directory for the new wineprefix: Wine must create it."...

Would that be a path to a folder I have created in the .wine folder under my /home/jack/.wine path? And if so, could you suggest a name for it?

Jack (really new to Linux, Mint 18 on Lenovo X201 laptop)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Make 32-bit WINEPREFIX on 64-bit System

Post by Bob Wya »

jackerbes wrote: Where that says to enter this command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=path_to_wineprefix winecfg 

It also warns .."use the actual path to the wineprefix) Do not use an existing directory for the new wineprefix: Wine must create it."...

Would that be a path to a folder I have created in the .wine folder under my /home/jack/.wine path? And if so, could you suggest a name for it?
No, I can't suggest a name for it!! That's up to you!! 8)

But seriously you can make the default Wineprefix (~/.wine) into a 32-bit Wineprefix:

rm -rf /home/jack/.wine
WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
but that will delete the contents of your existing default Wineprefix - which may be important to you!

You can use any other path, that is (rwx) accessible by your Linux user, as a Wineprefix. E.g. the winetricks script creates Wineprefix's in ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/ .
So e.g.:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/wineprefixes
export WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/overdrive_media_console
WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
  1. So create directory: /home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes - but not the final directory of desired Wineprefix path
  2. Set env variable WINEPREFIX temporarily - this will only apply to subsequent commands in this terminal session / current (Linux) user
    (opening another / other existing tab in your GUI terminal application will revert to the default WINEPREFIX of ~/.wine).
  3. Set env variable WINEARCH - only required when first creating a Wineprefix - to create a pure 32-bit Windows environment
    wineboot is quick command that will create the final directory of the path "overdrive_media_console" and populate this directory with a "fake" Windows filesystem and some Wine registry files.
Bob
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply and help. I've been re-reading and studying that for a while and then I gave your recommendations a try.

As it happens, I found already had the ".local/share/wineprefixes" folder, and I see it has two subfolders in it already. There is one for the irfanview program I am running under wine and another for wme9 which I think is Windows Explorer which, as it happens, I can run under Linux but I do not use that.

So I did not do the mk dir command as it seemed unnecessary.

I entered the other two commands from the terminal one at a time:

$ export WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/overdrive_media_console

Nothing obvious happened after that command, then I entered the 3rd command and a bunch of things happened:

$ WINEARCH=win32 wineboot

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes/overdrive_media_console'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x10ee8a0, overlapped 0x10ee8ac): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes/overdrive_media_console' has been updated
And, sure enough, I now have a wineprefixes folder with three sub folders in it, irfanview, wme9, and overdrive_media_console. And the overdrive_media_console folder has two subfolders and four files in it too, much like the irfanview folder does.

Now it occurs to me that irfanview is a 32-bit application and has been running fine under 64-bit mint 18 so I'm wondering if maybe that infanview folder is not a 32-bit PREFIX?

I had no idea and could not find a good explanation as to what a "PREFIX" is but now it appears to me to be a folder in a specific location with some subfolders and stuff in it...

Do the responses from the system that I got from the "WINEARCH=win32 wineboot" command require some attention? It seems like this one does:

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
I don't want to be as dumb about Linux as I am and am studying the things we are doing here a little as I do them. Feel free to suggest places that would be of help with my education. I am an old geezer but not done learning yet!

Jack
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

Deciding to try to move on, I tried following the instructions for the Overdrive install to wine again.

winetricks wmp10

A WineTricks popup came up and installed, mono, gecko, wine gecko installer
and then I got the following error again:

You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Executing w_do_call wmp10
Executing load_wmp10
Installer doesn't support 64-bit architecture. Use a 32-bit WINEPREFIX instead.
Assuming that I needed to do the same thing that got the Overdrive_Media_Console PREFIX in place it tried those same two commands again changing to wmp10:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/wmp10
No apparent result from that and then I tried the second command and got this:

WINEARCH=win32 wineboot

wine: chdir to /root/.local/share/wineprefixes/wmp10

: No such file or directory
So I think now I need to get that wmp10 PREFIX in place in that wineprefixes folder but can't seem to get that accomplished...

Jack
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

jackerbes wrote:No apparent result from that and then I tried the second command and got this:

WINEARCH=win32 wineboot

wine: chdir to /root/.local/share/wineprefixes/wmp10

: No such file or directory
You shouldn't ever run wine as the Linux root user - ever!! See WineHQ FAQ: Using Wine

Bob
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Have a read through WineHQ FAQ: Wineprefixes for some background...

Each Wineprefix forms a super-lightweight, relatively independent Virtual Windows installation (tl;dr version).
Lightweight - since all the Windows applications and dynamic link libraries are mainly just special Wine wrappers, for example (on my system):

du -sh .wine
576M    .wine
You can install as much Windows crap as you want to the default Wineprefix... But here comes the rub... Installing helper functions - native MS applications or libraries (e.g. Windows Media Player 10) - with winetricks... Can break compatibility with another application(s) you want to run under Wine - from the same Wineprefix.

So it is recommended to just stick to one main application (e.g. Overdrive Media Console) and all necessary native MS helper libraries and applications (e.g. wmp10) per individual Wineprefix ... This provides a certain degree of Windows application isolation - from each other.

Bob
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

So much to learn... sigh...

jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 / $ cd $home
jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ sudo chown -R $USER:$USER .wine
jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ ls -l
total 96
drwxr-xr-x  3 jack jack 4096 Sep 11  2015 Arduino
drwxr-xr-x 10 jack jack 4096 Sep 11  2015 arduino-1.6.5-r5
drwxr-xr-x  6 jack jack 4096 Aug  2 14:43 asunder-2.8
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Aug  2 08:41 Audiobooks
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Aug 26 08:42 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x  7 jack jack 4096 Mar 28 11:41 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 70 jack jack 4096 Aug 17 11:00 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x 17 jack jack 4096 Aug 23 09:19 Dump
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack  113 Jun 25 19:18 freecell_#######.txt
drwxr-xr-x  8 jack jack 4096 Jun  8 16:31 gosmore
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack    0 Nov  6  2015 Kismet-20151106-11-11-06-1.alert
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack  264 Nov  6  2015 Kismet-20151106-11-11-06-1.gpsxml
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack  103 Nov  6  2015 Kismet-20151106-11-11-06-1.nettxt
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack  222 Nov  6  2015 Kismet-20151106-11-11-06-1.netxml
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack   24 Nov  6  2015 Kismet-20151106-11-11-06-1.pcapdump
drwxr-xr-x  6 jack jack 4096 Mar 10 11:39 Music_In
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Aug  2 15:26 oggsrc
drwxr-xr-x  6 jack jack 4096 Jul 28 15:32 osmosis
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Mar  4 14:06 Podcasts
drwxrwxrwx  2 jack jack 4096 Apr  6 15:50 Public
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Sep  1  2015 Templates
-rw-r--r--  1 jack jack 6599 Jan 31  2016 testdisk.log
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Mar  4 14:06 Videos
drwxr-xr-x  2 jack jack 4096 Sep  1  2015 VirtualBox VMs
Does that fix things?

Jack
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

jackerbes wrote:So much to learn... sigh...
Trust me the fact is you're actually reading the Wiki contents... That's more than 50% of the forum posters here!! :shock:

It's quite fiddly to get to grips with the Wine nitty gritty stuff... But after bashing away it for a while - it'll become second nature. 8)
jackerbes wrote:Does that fix things?
Looks good to go. :mrgreen:

Bob
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

That's good to hear, I'm taking the rest of the night off... :)

Tomorrow I'm going to work on this some more...

If occurs to me that the Windows 10 version of the OverDrive Media Console (I don't have W10 installed anywhere) would be a 64-bit version. Maybe that is what I should be trying to install here... But tomorrow...

Thanks again!

Jack
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

jackerbes wrote: If occurs to me that the Windows 10 version of the OverDrive Media Console (I don't have W10 installed anywhere) would be a 64-bit version. Maybe that is what I should be trying to install here...
If it needs WMP to work, that won't work. There is no 64 bit version of WMP10, and newer versions of WMP can't be installed because they fail WGA validation. The exception is WMP11 for 64 bit XP, which can be installed and made to sort of work with a lot of trouble, but that's not a 64 bit app; it's 32 bit WMP11 with an installer designed to work on 64 bit XP.
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

dimesio wrote:
jackerbes wrote: If occurs to me that the Windows 10 version of the OverDrive Media Console (I don't have W10 installed anywhere) would be a 64-bit version. Maybe that is what I should be trying to install here...
If it needs WMP to work, that won't work. There is no 64 bit version of WMP10, and newer versions of WMP can't be installed because they fail WGA validation. The exception is WMP11 for 64 bit XP, which can be installed and made to sort of work with a lot of trouble, but that's not a 64 bit app; it's 32 bit WMP11 with an installer designed to work on 64 bit XP.
OK, thanks for the details on that! I would have been off on another wild goose chase.

The thing I do with the OverDrive Media Console is to download mp3 audiobooks to listen to. I do that via XP now and it is associated with my local library in some way. It is not important to getting this working but I'll explain why I am doing it, it may be of interest.

I am a vet (26 years in the Navy) and have a pretty bad service related hearing loss. The Vets give me hearing aids, those have bluetooth and I can use a dongle around my neck (a Phonak ComPilot) to link them to phones, TV's and other audio sources. My cell phone is my mp3 player for listening to the books via my hearing aids. It has been wonderful to be able to both hear well and to be able to get info and entertainment that way. And also I no longer have to have the TV so loud that it annoys others!

I log into my local library, they have a link to the OverDrive pages, and there I can choose books. When I choose a book a *.odm file is saved to my computer and I can open that with the OverDrive Media Console and download the mp3 audiobook as a number of *.mp3 files and a few related images. And those are used by the mp3 player (Smart Audiobook Player) And I also use the ODM console to return books. I can have 3 books at a time, they have a 7 day limit, and I can return them earlier to get new books against the three book limit.

As I moved to Linux in the last year or so I have also had to have a Windows machine around to run the OverDrive Media Console on. And I am trying to get that working on Linux. And others have done it successfully as you can tell from that link in my first post and links like this on:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=76652

All the successful installs of ODMC to Wine that I have found required installation of one version of Windows Media Player or another (WMP9 or WMP10) to get ODMC to work and, while you don't end up with a fully functional WMP install, it does result in the mp3 download process working. I don't want or plan to have to ever actually run or use WMP in any way.

So there you have it, a 74 year old, half deaf, geezer trying to master Linux... In time in the Navy I mastered DOS, then Windows 3.1, and it just kept going from there. But I don't want to ever put another penny in the M$ pockets...

Jack
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

jackerbes wrote:My cell phone is my mp3 player for listening to the books via my hearing aids.
FYI, Overdrive has apps for both Android and iPhone. https://app.overdrive.com/
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

dimesio wrote:
jackerbes wrote:My cell phone is my mp3 player for listening to the books via my hearing aids.
FYI, Overdrive has apps for both Android and iPhone. https://app.overdrive.com/
That's right, and I installed that on my phone (a Samsung Android phone) but could not get that to work. It had something to do with some kind of arrangement where I have to sign in to my library first and then log on to the OverDrive pages from there. I am not actually signing directly into OverDrive and on an account there.

But the good news is that just a while ago I picked my way through the posts here and the process again and got OverDrive for Windows installed and it is working!

I am going to follow up with a post here in the morning that summarizes the commands and what I did, it all boiled down to a combination of the recommendations from Bob Wya and some info I found in the WineHQ AppDB pages. I ended up with Windows Media Player 9 installed too and with that in place the OverDrive for Windows app fell right into place.

I tested just a while ago, downloaded a couple of *.odm files and the books downloaded with no problem. My XP Pro install is going to be history soon!

So thanks again to all for all the help.

Jack
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

jackerbes wrote: I tested just a while ago, downloaded a couple of *.odm files and the books downloaded with no problem. My XP Pro install is going to be history soon!

So thanks again to all for all the help.

Jack
That's great news!

I've used the Overdrive Android app in the past - but I've not tried to install the desktop application on a non-Windows machine before... Good to know it can be done!

Bob
jackerbes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jackerbes »

Last night got the OverDrive for Windows application installed under Wine and working perfectly. I started over from the top of this thread and worked through the recommendations from Bob Wya and also from one of the pages on the WineHQ AppDB. And, between the two, the info and commands worked this time.

As I had found that I already had the .local/share/wineprefixes/ folder that Bob said to create, I started with his following commands.

And the WineHQ pages about the OverDrive made it obvious that an install of Windows Media Player was esssential to getting the OverDrive console installed. So first I tried installing WPM9 again using the standard approach:

jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ winetricks wmp9
That produced same result and error that started this thread

Executing w_do_call wmp9
Executing load_wmp9
Installer doesn't support 64-bit architecture.
So I used the command Bob suggested in post #2

export WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/wmp9
And that produced no apparent results (no wmp9 folder found in /home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes folder) but it did not produce any errors either so I moved on to the second command and got an immediate result as follows:

WINEARCH=win32 wineboot

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes/wmp9'
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x10ee8a0, overlapped 0x10ee8ac): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes/wmp9' has been updated.
When I checked the /home/jack/.local/share/wineprefixes folder I found that it now contained a wmp9 folder!

jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~/.local/share/wineprefixes $ ls -l
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 4 jack jack 4096 Aug 26 14:03 irfanview
drwxr-xr-x 4 jack jack 4096 Aug 27 09:08 overdrive_media_console
drwxr-xr-x 4 jack jack 4096 Sep  3  2015 wme9
drwxr-xr-x 4 jack jack 4096 Aug 27 19:26 wmp9
Then I tried to install wmp9 again...

jack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ winetricks wmp9
And all kinds of good things happened, I was walked through the pop up setup menus on WMP9, made some choices and chose some settings and then closed the Windows Media Player setup program. I basically chose to turn off all of the interactions that WMP9 would normally make with a windows system in finding and categorizing various media and also it's compulsive desire to go out and find things like Digital Rights and the like. I have no desire or intent to ever use WMP9, it is here only because the OverDrive Console feels a need for it!

And then I tried the install on the OverDrive Media Console again. I used the example here:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=50380

"..3. Run the installer (msiexec /i /path/to/ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi)..."

I had previously downloaded the OverDrive *.msi and saved it to a folder on my system and the path to that was added to the above command and entered to the terminal and it produced the following result:

ack@jack-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ msiexec /i /home/jack/Downloads/OverDrive/ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi

fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeResourceLite stub: 0x113672
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x1136ca
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x1136d6
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeEvent stub: 0x1136de 1 1
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x1136ee
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x551740
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x55173c
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x1136be
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x551744
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x551748
fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeZone stub: 0x1136ae, 192, 0x113a48, 24584
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeSpinLock stub: 0x55174c
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeMutex stub: 0x63b49c, 1
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeEvent stub: 0x55172c 1 0
fixme:ntoskrnl:IoInitializeTimer stub: 0x54f020, 0x54c3d0, 0x54f020
fixme:ntoskrnl:IoStartTimer stub: 0x54f020
fixme:ntoskrnl:KeWaitForSingleObject stub: 0x55172c, 0, 0, 0, (nil)
fixme:ntoskrnl:PsTerminateSystemThread stub: 0
fixme:shell:SHChangeNotify ignoring unsupported flags: 2005
fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
fixme:msi:ITERATE_CreateShortcuts poorly handled shortcut format, advertised shortcut
Successfully registered DLL C:\Program Files\OverDrive for Windows\OMCDetect.dll
Successfully registered DLL C:\Program Files\OverDrive for Windows\OMCZuneDeviceHelper.dll
Successfully registered DLL C:\Program Files\OverDrive for Windows\ODMediaHelper.dll
As that was happening the OverDrive install menus popped up, I took the defaults and made some choices, and closed the setup process and found I had the Wine OverDrive for Windows icon on the desktop also!

A while later I did an uncalled for restart to get everything settled in. I think that is an old habit of mine that is a residual habit from my years of using Windows. Restarts are free and seldom hurt anything, when all else fails, try one of those...

But I logged on to my local library,

https://ellsworth.biblionix.com/catalog/

clicked on the "Maine InfoNet Download Library (OverDrive)" link and that took me download pages just as I was used to seeing under XP. I chose a couple of books, those give me a couple of *.odm files that I saved to a working folder, and when I started OverDrive from Windows from the icon on the desktop and processed those I was able to download the two mp3 audiobooks!

When I am choosing books I am logged on to a page named "maine.overdrive.com/maine-ellsworth" and am logged in with my local library's card number. So I am not logged directly into OverDrive.com. And I think that is the reason that the OverDrive Android app on my phone will not log me in with the same info. I'm going to pursue that a little more, maybe I need to register and create a different type of account with OverDrive to use the Android app.

But all is working nicely from 64-bit Mint Linux and I'll soon say goodbye to my XP Pro installation!

Thanks again for all the help here!

Jack
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

jackerbes wrote: A while later I did an uncalled for restart to get everything settled in. I think that is an old habit of mine that is a residual habit from my years of using Windows. Restarts are free and seldom hurt anything, when all else fails, try one of those...
Jack...

Just for your further information - "useful tips"!

This thread contains some useful info about "rebooting Wine"...

Of course those console commands will only apply to Wineprefix specified by the env variable:

env | grep WINEPREFIX
will tell you what it is (or if unset then the default of ~/.wine will be used)...
Classic case is starting a new tab in your graphical Linux terminal and typing:

wineserver -k
- as this will revert back to the stock Wineprefix of ~/.wine (since WINEPREFIX was not specified). export only applies for the current shell session...

The .desktop launcher(s) Wine auto-creates will be buried under ~/.local/share/applications somewhere (find is useful here) and will set this env variable for you!

Bob