regsvr32: 'DllRegisterServer' not implemented in DLL 'xaudio

Questions about Wine on Linux
Kymus
Level 2
Level 2

regsvr32: 'DllRegisterServer' not implemented in DLL 'xaudio

Post by Kymus »

I'm following this walkthrough to install Stardew Valley and Steam.

At step 3, it calls for this command:

Code: Select all

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks xact xna40 steam
Things ran smoothly, but then I got this error:

regsvr32: 'DllRegisterServer' not implemented in DLL 'xaudio2_8.dll'
------------------------------------------------------
Note: command 'wine regsvr32 xaudio2_8.dll' returned status 4.  Aborting.
------------------------------------------------------
(likely unnecessary, but here's the full output).

How can I address this so that I may install Steam as necessary? I'm running Mint v17.3
dimesio

Re: regsvr32: 'DllRegisterServer' not implemented in DLL 'xa

Post by dimesio »

Most problems with winetricks stem from using outdated versions. You can get the latest winetricks from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winet ... winetricks.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using; if it's not the latest development release, you also need to upgrade that. Use the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Kymus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kymus »

Thank you for the suggestion!

I updated winetricks, and then re-ran the terminal command as before. This time, I was prompted to install .Net and other package (the name escapes me), both seemed to install fine. Then I was prompted to install XNA Framework, which has failed to install ("unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application"), but installation claims to have finished (not sure if it always says that or not). Shortly afterwards I was prompted to install Steam, but that has not given me an error that I "must first connect to the internet". Trying to run steam afterwards with the command given in the tutorial (WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine ~/.wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe) gives me the error that Steam.exe is not found.

While copying the output to put up another paste, I noticed a few errors mentioned at the end:

Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_steam\override-dll.reg
You opted in, so reporting 'xna40 dotnet40 remove_mono steam w_workaround_wine_bug-22751 corefonts w_workaround_wine_bug-22053 w_workaround_wine_bug-31320 ' to the winetricks maintainer so he knows which winetricks verbs get used and which don't.  Use --optout to disable future reports.
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Suggestions on where I go from here?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The p11-kit message is harmless, but you can get rid of it by installing 32 bit p11-kit.

What you need to fix is this:

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
Kymus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kymus »

I take that to mean that I should install winbind.

I ran apt-get install windbind. It installed fine, and then I went back to the command from before. Here's the output:

kymus@HT ~ $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks xact xna40 steam
Executing w_do_call xact
xact already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call xna40
xna40 already installed, skipping
Executing w_do_call steam
steam already installed, skipping
kymus@HT ~ $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine ~/.wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe
wine: cannot find '/home/kymus/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe'
So for whatever reason, Steam.exe isn't in the WINE folder. Er.. should I just download and place it there myself?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Winetricks installs apps to separate wineprefixes under ~/.local/share/wineprefixes unless you specify --no-isolate when running it, so you'll probably find the steam wineprefix there. You can use that, but you'll have to install the other things to it, as they would have been installed to the wineprefix you specified. Or you could just install Steam to the wineprefix you wanted it in.
Kymus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kymus »

My apologies; my understanding of this topic is not advanced enough to comprehend all of that. I kinda understand what you're saying, but I have no idea how to actually do it.

Would you mind dumbing that down for me, please?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Kymus,
  1. If you're installing any game via Steam then I'd recommend visiting the Wine AppDB page for Steam first. Steam is update very regularly and tends to break badly every 3-6 months :shock: So catch up (on this page) with the latest problems and solutions!!
  2. See the WineHQ FAQ for an outline on how the Wineprefix system works.
    I'd obviously recommend reading through the whole FAQ - probably more than once - as it provides a valuable basis for using Wine day-to-day.
Bob
Kymus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kymus »

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I'll do that and come back if I don't understand/still have a problem