SimCity 4 help please

Questions about Wine on Linux
JAKETHELAKE

SimCity 4 help please

Post by JAKETHELAKE »

I've tried looking to posts all over the internet to get simcity 4 running, but have had no such luck. I was able to install it using wine, but when I try to launch it, it crashes. I use this script which was suggested in several posts, but still no luck:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
env WINEPREFIX="/home/jake/.wine" \
wine "c:/Program Files (x86)/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe/Apps/SimCity 4.exe" \
 -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -d:directx \
 -CPUCount:1 -f &>~/sc4.log
my log displays this message to me:

Code: Select all

fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"SecDrv" failed to start: 2
I would really appreciate any help from anyone, this has been driving me nuts for about three days.
dimesio

Re: SimCity 4 help please

Post by dimesio »

SecDrv is the SafeDisc driver, but SimCity 4 used a 2.x version of SafeDisc, which should work with current Wine compiled with a recent version of gcc. What version of Wine are you using, and where did you get it from?
JAKETHELAKE

Post by JAKETHELAKE »

I for once in my life actually installed wine from the ubuntu software center. The version is 1.6.2.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Try upgrading to the latest development release. You should also reinstall SimCity 4 to a clean 32 bit wineprefix.
JAKETHELAKE

Post by JAKETHELAKE »

I've uninstalled wine and re installed it from the terminal this time. Still I get the same log as before after reinstalling SC4. Is there anyway the SafeDisc driver is missing, and if so is there a way to search for the driver, and if it's not there can the driver be added manually if missing?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Uninstalling Wine doesn't affect the wineprefix; you have to delete that manually and create a new one, then install the game to that.