Refusal to create a configuration directory in Root ??

Questions about Wine on Linux
BeloSol01
Level 2
Level 2

Refusal to create a configuration directory in Root ??

Post by BeloSol01 »

This executable is failing to run, first with the GUI, and now, at terminal -- with this error message:

Code: Select all

# sudo wine ScanAndSave.exe
wine: '/root' is not owned by you, refusing to create a configuration directory there
After searching this forum and the 'net, the only solutions I've found, for this and similar error messages, is to use the command batchmod.
Then, I found out, this command only works with the mac OS -- and I'm running Linux Mint.

:?: How do I get this executable to run under Wine?

Any help -- with an example, if possible -- would be appreciated.
dimesio

Re: Refusal to create a configuration directory in Root ??

Post by dimesio »

BeloSol01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BeloSol01 »

dimesio wrote:Never run Wine as root. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_as_root
:oops: Yes, of course, you are correct. All this started as a mistake in Dolphin when I wanted to get into terminal, and I took the wrong context menu entry. I then wondered why I was seeing the error message implying I was working as root, before I prefixed sudo. The error messages, both without sudo and with sudo, were identical, as I now understand I was root -- on both attempts.

So, please disregard that first post! :oops:

I hope I haven't damaged my Wine installation -- but since the command apparently aborted before anything 'ran' (I hope) maybe it's still OK? :shock:

I repeated my steps after selecting Dolphin's 'other' menu choice -- the one that opens a 'normal' terminal. The following was the result of a correct attempt to run this .exe under Wine, and I still need help:

Code: Select all

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ScanAndSave 2.0 > wine ScanAndSave.exe 
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:netapi32:NetShareEnum Stub ((null) 502 0x48221c -1 0x33fd18 0x482228 (nil))
fixme:netapi32:NetShareEnum Stub ((null) 502 0x48221c -1 0x33e01c 0x482228 (nil))
fixme:netapi32:NetShareEnum Stub ((null) 502 0x48221c -1 0x33e010 0x482228 (nil))
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000025
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000026
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bcd3fc0 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0026, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
<snip>
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bcd3fc0 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0027, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 wine ScanAndSave.exe
... and I hope this brings me back to where I should have been at the first post, if not for the mistaken menu choice in Dolphin.

:?: This error message is more informative, but I'm very new to Wine and need help to learn what my next step should be.

The ScanAndSave software is described,and downloaded, here:
http://documentscanning-software.com/
and I'm using the free trial until I find out if I can run it under Linux Mint. A previous search for a native-GNU/Linux program with equivalent functionality -- was not successful.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

First, does your scanner work in native Linux programs? If it doesn't, there's no chance of it working in Wine.

Scanner support in Wine is poorly tested. I've never been able to get it to work, but I haven't really tried very hard, as XSane works fine for me. What I do know is that you will need a working SANE driver and XScanimage, and if you are on a 64 bit system and this scanning app is 32 bit, you will need the 32 bit versions of both.
BeloSol01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BeloSol01 »

dimesio wrote:First, does your scanner work in native Linux programs? If it doesn't, there's no chance of it working in Wine.
Yes, I do have it working in Mint, in terminal, Xsane and SimpleScan.

The application in question is a very-minimalistic document manager, intended to speed the process of scanning of personal documents and automatically getting them into pre-designated folders, with a uniformly-formatted file-name, to facilitate seeing the documents in proper sequence when sorted. This program tries to do a bit more than SimpleScan and not quite as much as Xsane.

Originally, I was looking for a similar GNU/Linux application and, at first, found a number of abandoned projects, but nothing under development. Since posting, however, I've continued searching and came across Paperman -- something along the lines of PaperPort.

I'm intending to load it and see if it runs on Mint version 17. This may, or may not, be successful -- the author's last packaging attempt was for Ubuntu Karmic. :shock:

So, for now, I'll try the native program, and continue the thread if I can't get it to run on Mint 17 -- several Ubuntu versions later.

Thanks very much -- you did help me to learn a bit more about running programs under Wine. :)

If you happen to know the name of a 'lighter' Linux program, similar to ScanAndSave, under current development, please let me know.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

BeloSol01 wrote:Yes, I do have it working in Mint, in terminal, Xsane and SimpleScan.
The little documentation we have for scanners says that Wine requires XScanimage to work, so you would need to install that if you haven't already. https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-gui ... ure#AEN957
BeloSol01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BeloSol01 »

:D Many thanks for that, I'm still watching the thread, and will take note of your advice!