Running a Hebrew application

Questions about Wine on Linux
erelsgl

Running a Hebrew application

Post by erelsgl »

A relative of mine has just installed Ubuntu 14.04 and the default Wine version from the repository (wine 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4). He then installed on it a certain software from a CD (by right-clicking the "setup.exe" in the CD and choosing "Open with Wine"). The problem is that the software is in Hebrew, and instead of the Hebrew letters he sees just blank lines.

What should he do in order to solve the problem? Please note that he has only 1 day of experience with Linux, so, instructions not using terminal will be great (I have a bit more experience, but I don't have access to his computer).
dimesio

Re: Running a Hebrew application

Post by dimesio »

What is his system locale, and does he have any Hebrew fonts installed?

If his system locale is not he_IL, he needs to start the program with LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 at the beginning of the command line. That variable can be added to the command in menu/desktop links so he doesn't have to run it from the command line every time. He may also need to install a font with Hebrew glyphs.

One thing he should be aware of is that there are several bugs in Wine pertaining to Hebrew fonts, so it still may not display correctly. https://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?bug ... ordssubstr
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

How do I get a specific windows Hebrew program to run in Wine (it currently displays only squares and lines
I live in Israel, but my system language is English
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

To dimesio - you wrote:
If his system locale is not he_IL, he needs to start the program with LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 at the beginning of the command line. That variable can be added to the command in menu/desktop links so he doesn't have to run it from the command line every time. He may also need to install a font with Hebrew glyphs.
can you please explain what the full text of the cmmand line is and how to install the fonts

Thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Example syntax:

Code: Select all

LANG=he_IL wine start /unix /path/to/program.exe
substitute the actual path to the executable for "/path/to/program.exe" in the line above.

How to install fonts is not a Wine question. Ask your distro.
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

Thanks demisio for your quick help

when i try to to do what you said i get this error:

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Success.

yehoshua@yehoshua-Lenovo-G500:/var/lib/apt$ LANG=he_IL wine start /unix /path/to/program.exe/home/yehoshua/Desktop.exe
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Success.

yehoshua@yehoshua-Lenovo-G500:/var/lib/apt$ LANG=he_IL wine start /unix /home/yehoshua/Desktop.exe
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

i realized that i did not put in the name of the file - but i tried now and still failed - perhaps i am choosing too much or too little of this data i see in the properties under "Command"

env WINEPREFIX="/home/yehoshua/.wine" wine C:\\DBS\\TaklitorTorani.Exe
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

Thank you Dimesio for the link - but unfortunately it does not work for me. I tried searching in forums for related info, and found some.
I really tried hard to figure out the code to type in the terminal but i have not been successful. Some put the location in quotes others not, some have the slashes like / others \ other s seems to have a double \\
I dont know if to include C: at the beginning if it is on the desktop -
the Command in file Manager is {env WINEPREFIX="/home/yehoshua/.wine" wine C:\\DBS\\TaklitorTorani.Exe} and the location is { /home/yehoshua/Desktop}
I am running out of guesses and permutations and would be extremely appreciative if you could figure out the precise command that i need to put into the terminal to get the ball rolling.

gratefully, desperately,
Yehoshua
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Yeah, the wiki's been down all day.

There are multiple ways to run apps from a terminal, some using Windows-style paths and others unix-style. Probably the easiest is to simply cd to the directory containing the executable and run it with wine and the program name, e.g.

cd /home/yehoshua/.wine/drive_c/DBS
LANG=he_IL wine TaklitorTorani.Exe
In this case the WINEPREFIX doesn't need to be specified because it is the default one, ~/.wine.
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

Thank you again Dimesio,

I think we are almost there -
the code seems right but there seems to be another problem with timezones which i looked around on this and other sites how to fix, but no luck yet.
Here is the error i get:

fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias -120, std (d/m/y): 25/10/2015, dlt (d/m/y): 27/03/2015

Thanks again for your kindness,
be well,
Yehoshua
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

That looks like https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36966. According to the last comment in the bug report, it should have been fixed a couple of months ago, but no one has verified that.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

I reinstalled wine just last week - my version is wine1.6 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4

I see that there may be an issue with my time zone - is thre a work around?
The url you mentioned led me to a site which may offer a patch - but i cannot decipher the content - here is data from that page:

author Sebastian Lackner <[email protected]>
Wed, 29 Apr 2015 17:30:09 +0000 (19:30 +0200)
committer Alexandre Julliard <[email protected]>
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 07:18:32 +0000 (16:18 +0900)
commit 8319445933fa149b6874420786f638732ef35699
tree 743fd1e0a55587936527e53b70dd4af23f8086f1 tree | snapshot
parent b14b646ef62acf82ba9d415829bf85c128b0278b commit | diff
wine.inf: Add timezone information for Europe/{Kaliningrad, Istanbul}.

Eagerly awaiting some direction - (does Play on linux or some other alternative offer more hope?)
Yehoshua
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

Hello again (Rosanne?) Dimesio,

I see that there is a newer version of wine - although the Software center doesnt offer it so i installed it and now have 1.7.44-
And now when i cut &paste what you wrote above, this is what i get: (and the pgm opens up but displays messed up characters)

yehoshua@yehoshua-Lenovo-G500:~$ cd /home/yehoshua/.wine/drive_c/DBS
yehoshua@yehoshua-Lenovo-G500:~/.wine/drive_c/DBS$ LANG=he_IL wine TaklitorTorani.Exe
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
yehoshua@yehoshua-Lenovo-G500:~/.wine/drive_c/DBS$

Take care,
Yehoshua
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The patch in bug 36966 is already part of Wine, and since your program now opens, it apparently fixes the timezone issue.

As for the messed up characters, Wine has a lot of issues with Hebrew. One problem is https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23537, so try installing winetricks tahoma.
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

I am glad to hear that one issue Timezones is taken care of.
I installed tahoma32.exe - is that what you mean? B/c it still doesnt work - i saw some posts complaining about Tahoma - and preferring other fonts like Times new ROman - how do i set fonts?
I apologize for being so ignorant - my journey into linux has been a most humbling experience
Yehoshua
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You could try winetricks corefonts.

Beyond that, Wine has many known problems displaying Hebrew: https://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?bug ... ordssubstr

If your problem doesn't match an existing bug, file a new one
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

You could try winetricks corefonts.
- how do i do that ? I opened winetricks but didn't see it in the menu.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Do it from the command line.

winetricks corefonts
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

It says corefonts already installed - do i have to open them or move them to a specific location?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Fonts should be in the wineprefix's /windows/Fonts directory. If winetricks detects them, then they probably are there already.