Wine Explorer

Questions about Wine on Linux
Sphane

Wine Explorer

Post by Sphane »

I'm trying to download some external game files for on eof my games that I use wine to run (Terraria) I downloaded a fun little program for the game but it needs to be placed in the Terraria Directory.

I do not know how to access the created partition that I store my steam library in.
I am able to VIEW the files in the windows version of Steam, by going to Properties from a game, and clicking Browse Local Files,
But
I am not able to move files in the Wine explorer, I am not able to move (copy and paste) files in Wine explorer (SImply moving files in Wine explorer doesn't work, and trying to move files from lubuntu to the C drive), I am able to view files set on my desktop on Lubuntu with Wine Explorer, but I am not able to move files from either or.

I have tried to look up any issues with Wine Explorer, but I just ended up getting nonsense about "Internet explorer with Wine" As if anyone would want to use Internet explorer like that.
dimesio

Re: Wine Explorer

Post by dimesio »

Use a native file manager.
Sphane

Post by Sphane »

Yes, because that totally explains what I need help with.
I said I can't access the such files, I am not able to use the Explorer that's set for Lubuntu to get to these files.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The default wineprefix is a hidden directory in your home directory, ~/.wine. If by "can't access" you simply mean you can't find them, set your file manager to show hidden files, and you will be able to browse ~/.wine like any other directory. If you mean something else (partition is not mounted, permissions errors), those are things you have to solve in the host system.
Sphane

Post by Sphane »

Yes, I have the lubuntu file manager set to view hidden files. Still not able to view where the Steam Game Files are though.
The Wine explorer can't move files around in general.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Sphane wrote:Yes, I have the lubuntu file manager set to view hidden files. Still not able to view where the Steam Game Files are though.
What exactly do you mean by "not able to view"? Is it that you can't find the /steam/steamapps directory in the wineprefix, or it's there but the file manager won't let you browse it? If the former, it should be under Program Files (in a 32 bit wineprefix) or Program Files (x86) (in a 64 bit wineprefix). If the latter, it could be a permissions issue.
The Wine explorer can't move files around in general.
That's correct; those functions aren't implemented.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I had one more thought: did you by chance install Steam using winetricks? If you did, it's not in ~/.wine, it's in ~/.local/share/wineprefixes.
Sphane

Post by Sphane »

I'm not exactly the one who set up this whole thing.
The preivous owner of this computer-- My brother, A while back he attempted to install a Linux OS a few months ago, and failed. He messed up the Windows files, and had to download a cracked version of windows. Some time after that I became the owner of the laptop, and eventually months while it asked me for a Product Key.
My brother took a second attempt at installing a Linux OS (Lubuntu), and was successful. I can run very few games but still can run my favorite game, Terraria, with wine.

Long story short, I'm not the one who works with this kind of stuff. I wasn't the one who setup steam or any such things.
My brother, often refuses to bother to take the time to help. He has some beefy computer, he works 10 hours a day, and he doesn't let me use his computer to do anything on either even though he's the one that messed up the one I'm using... He pratically has everything I want to play with on his computer but apparently that's too much to ask for.
I definitely do not have the money to purchase a new product key, because some special person in our family (coughcough, my brother) had to anger our father's sides grandmother, and we don't recieve the hundreds and some dollars form them every once in a while. My brother thinks spamming about Anti-vaccinations and other useless complaining actually helps his 20 friends on facebook...

Useless ramble over, I'm just a pissy teen trying to get this stuff to work.
I'm just gonna leave this alone for now and just going to keep nudging my brother to help fix everything before he leaves again..