desktop will not re size back to normal

Questions about Wine on Linux
jarp53
Level 1
Level 1

desktop will not re size back to normal

Post by jarp53 »

i install 1.7.44 and i have several issues, but first my desktop will not go back to normal size after playing a game, i have to force back to login screen ( ctrl+alt+backspace ); please keep in mind that i'm not only new to wine, but also new to linux ; thank you
dimesio

Re: desktop will not re size back to normal

Post by dimesio »

That's a longstanding bug in X11, tracked here as https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10841 and upstream as https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14255.

It will probably never be fixed. You can work around it by running your games in Wine's emulated virtual desktop (Graphics tab in winecfg).
jarp53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarp53 »

yeah that works, is there a way to make the windows for the games a little bigger, i have the virtual window as big as i can get it but the games show up in a smaller window
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

That's something you should be able to set in the game itself.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

Playing in Wine desktop is one option, but in case you prefer to play full screen, you may be interested in the following:

What to do about games that don't restore the screen resolution.
Some games change the screen resolution, but don't change it back on exit. This is winehq bug 10841.

The command in Linux to set the screen to the default (highest) resolution is 'xrandr -s 0'.

That's easy enough to type, but it's even easier if you create a little button on the system menu bar to give that command; here's a video explaining how to do that on Ubuntu 10.10.
jarp53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarp53 »

ok i was just hopping that they would re size like in windows according to the hi DPI ; one more question, how can i get the programs to open directly with wine and not have to choose that option every time
jarp53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarp53 »

i'm on linux 17.1 cinammon ,that command did not work, i look in the teminal help but i'm to new at this so i can tell how the command looks like
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

Wine desktop does not support scaling.

What do you mean by xrandr "did not work"? Did it change to wrong resolution, the command was not found or something else? If you have wrong default resolution (so "-s 0" switches to wrong resolution), you can specify manually to what resolution you want to change like this:

Code: Select all

xrandr -s 2560x1440
To get list of available resolutions just run:

xrandr
If you do not have xrandr command, then you need to install X11 utils, in Debian-based distros you can do it by running

sudo apt-get install x11-xserver-utils
jarp53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarp53 »

sorry i'm just too new at this; i was typing capital o and of course the terminal read that the value was not correct, so i understood by looking at the terminal help and use 1 for the argument and that worked
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

In "xrandr -s 0", "0" is not capital "o", it is zero. Other numbers may work too, depending on available size-indexes (see "man xrandr") and what you want, but for most users it is easier to use either zero to switch to default resolution or specify resolution as string like "2560x1440". But if you prefer using size-index that's OK too, I'm explaining this just in case you did not know.
jarp53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarp53 »

great!!! thanks