Medieval II Total War Steam help please!

Questions about Wine on macOS.
CrazyHairdo
Level 1
Level 1

Medieval II Total War Steam help please!

Post by CrazyHairdo »

Hi I've been using wine for a little while here and aside from a few bugs I've had a great experience and I think it's a great idea. Be forewarned, I am an amateur in the basest terms and I'm afraid I have a lot of catching up to do.

I just bought Medieval II Total War on Steam and have been spending the last six hours combing the forums and trying to make it work. I'm on a Mac OSX using the PC steam client bottled in Wine to play a few PC games. The title screen and opening cinematic are wonky and split then it just quits when the main menu is supposed to show up.

Methods I've tried:
-Scouting out the data files to skip the opening like how Civilization III is fixed, but came up with nothing on that front.
-I've seen that dotnet35 needs to be installed, but I repeated fall into the trap of dotnet35 conflicting with dotnet20, so I totally erased 20 from my hard drive (to the point where winetricks and the uninstaller don't recognize it as downloaded or installed) yet the same error message keeps popping up.
-I tried "cleaning the prefix" but the Mac terminal doesn't even comment on the commands (export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-new) and the Wine terminal says it doesn't recognize the command (or the several variations I've seen on this site) to allow dotnet35 to be installed, but to no avail.
-Lastly, I tried to workarounds for dotnet35 listed on the testing pages but came up with nothing.

I may have done a process wrong or misstepped, though I highly doubt it. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you for your help!
L. Rahyen

Re: Medieval II Total War Steam help please!

Post by L. Rahyen »

CrazyHairdo wrote:I'm on a Mac OSX using the PC steam client bottled in Wine
If by "bottled" you mean you are using WineBottler, it is third-party wrapper and is not supported here (see WineBottler "Support" section). When having issues, it is good idea to use plain Wine anyway. Look into AppDB what you may need to do to run the game with plain Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=20302 . You are right, it looks like you need dotnet35.
CrazyHairdo wrote:terminal doesn't even comment on the commands (export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-new)
If terminal shows no errors, then usually it means the command was successful. To start with fresh Wine prefix, make sure that ~/.wine-new does not exist (run "rm -rf ~/.wine-new" to delete it). Also, I recommend "export WINEARCH=win32" to create 32-bit Wine prefix. Then you can install dotnet35 and your game (make sure to do this in the same terminal where you have exported WINEPREFIX and WINEARCH).

If after this you still need more help, please post all commands you have used to install everything and to run the game, including full terminal output (please use pastebin.com if it is big).
CrazyHairdo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CrazyHairdo »

L. Rahyen wrote:
CrazyHairdo wrote:I'm on a Mac OSX using the PC steam client bottled in Wine
If by "bottled" you mean you are using WineBottler, it is third-party wrapper and is not supported here (see WineBottler "Support" section). When having issues, it is good idea to use plain Wine anyway. Look into AppDB what you may need to do to run the game with plain Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=20302 . You are right, it looks like you need dotnet35.
My mistake, I'm using plain Wine, not WineBottler.
CrazyHairdo wrote:terminal doesn't even comment on the commands (export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-new)
If terminal shows no errors, then usually it means the command was successful. To start with fresh Wine prefix, make sure that ~/.wine-new does not exist (run "rm -rf ~/.wine-new" to delete it). Also, I recommend "export WINEARCH=win32" to create 32-bit Wine prefix. Then you can install dotnet35 and your game (make sure to do this in the same terminal where you have exported WINEPREFIX and WINEARCH).

If after this you still need more help, please post all commands you have used to install everything and to run the game, including full terminal output (please use pastebin.com if it is big).
I ran it a few times, and it still said that "error: dotnet35 conflicts with dotnet20, which is already installed"

Here are the commands in the Mac Terminal
"Last login: Sat Jun 20 10:22:52 on ttys001
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ rm -rf ~/.wine-SteamWindows
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-SteamWindows
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ export WINEARCH=win32/.wine-SteamWindows"
I feel like I'm doing something stupidly obvious, I just don't know what it is.

To give a better picture:

1. I'm using 10.9.5 OSX on a MacBook-Pro, opening up the "Terminal" in the "Utilities" folder of "Applications" (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and using the Terminal program.

2. I have entered in the above commands in the window that automatically opens up (titled Ben – bash – 80x24) and no error messages pop up (unless I enter in gibberish, such as "sdfsd", just to see if the error message exists). Therefore I must assume the commands work.

3. I open Winemaker within the "SteamWindows" program (which hosts Medieval 2: Total War and the expansion Total War Kingdoms) and click on Winetricks.

4. I run "dotnet35sp1" for Winetricks (having already tried "dotnet35" but with the same results) and after executing the installation (as it has already downloaded) it abruptly stops and the error message "error: dotnet35 conflicts with dotnet20, which is already installed" pops up. Keep in mind Winetricks doesn't acknowledge that dotnet20 is either installed or downloaded.

I'm at a loss, but the help is greatly appreciated. Hope this paints a clearer picture!
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

CrazyHairdo wrote:"Last login: Sat Jun 20 10:22:52 on ttys001
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ export WINEARCH=win32/.wine-SteamWindows"
This does not look right. First of all, commands should look like this:

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.wine-SteamWindows
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-SteamWindows
winetricks -q dotnet35
After this, you need to install and run the game. Usually it is done like this:

cd /path/to/directory/with/game/installer
wine setup.exe
cd ~/.wine-SteamWindows/drive_c/Program\ Files/Game\ Folder
wine game.exe
In each line replace path or executable name with real one.
CrazyHairdo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CrazyHairdo »

L. Rahyen wrote: This does not look right. First of all, commands should look like this:

rm -rf ~/.wine-SteamWindows
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-SteamWindows
winetricks -q dotnet35
I input the commands, however I get another error message on the last line:
Last login: Sat Jun 20 12:53:00 on ttys000
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ export WINEARCH=win32
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ winetricks -q dotnet35
-bash: winetricks: command not found
I also tried doing the same exact thing except used "--force" in an attempt to really try everything, but it still showed the "command not found" message, and denied dotnet35 once again.

Again thank you for helping me, I really appreciate it.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

If winetricks not found, you do not have it installed. Please read: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks . There you can find instructions how to download and install it (alternatively, you can run winetricks without installing).
CrazyHairdo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CrazyHairdo »

L. Rahyen wrote:If winetricks not found, you do not have it installed. Please read: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks . There you can find instructions how to download and install it (alternatively, you can run winetricks without installing).
My mistake, I saw it on the interface and assumed it was already installed.

However now I can't find a way to install winetricks, as my Terminal doesn't recognize "wget" within "wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winet ... winetricks
chmod +x winetricks " nor does it seem to recognize it when I copy the script directly into the Terminal (as a last resort). It says "Process Complete" yet the same error messages keep popping up.

So I downloaded the script and once I enter in the "chmod +x winetricks
sudo cp winetricks /usr/local/bin" command my terminal recognizes it but requests a password, then freezing up.

I looked up answers and so far I see a few people having problems with their Macs, either that or I'm missing something.

Apologies for my illiteracy with this stuff, learning as I go.

EDIT: So I figured out the password part, but once it goes ahead with the commands I get the "cp: /usr/local/bin: No such file or directory" message. Am I supposed to substitute the text with something?
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

It is strange that you do not have /usr/local/bin, after reading http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/31/check-th ... echo-path/ I thought it exist on Mac too. Anyway, as the article says, you can try to run:

echo $PATH
It should print all directories (separated by ":") which are searched every time when you try to run a command. You can choose any directory in your $PATH to install winetricks. So, for example, if you have /usr/bin in your $PATH, then try this to install winetricks (make sure you have winetricks in current directory and that you ran chmod +x on it first):

sudo mv winetricks /usr/bin
Do not forget to export both WINEPREFIX and WINEARCH before running winetricks. But if above did not help and running "winetricks -q dotnet35" still results in "no such file" error, you can try to run winetricks without installing it:

./winetricks -q dotnet35
or

sh winetricks -q dotnet35
These commands assume you have winetricks in current directory, use "cd" if neccesary to change to the directory where you have downloaded it.
CrazyHairdo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CrazyHairdo »

Ok, almost there. Again, thank you so much for your help and patience, must be like handholding a toddler or something.

I'm still having some trouble. I followed the instructions but seemed to have some problems:
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ chmod +x winetricks
chmod: winetricks: No such file or directory
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ sudo cp winetricks /usr/local/bin
Password:
cp: winetricks: No such file or directory
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ sudo cp winetricks /usr/bin
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ sudo cp winetricks /bin
Towards the end I tried installing it in /bin but to no avail. However, "winetricks" as an exec file (from what I see it is not an alias) is in /usr/bin (using Terminal I found the hidden files) after some digging, so it should be find and dandy, right?

So I ran the commands using a multitude of variations:
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ winetricks -q dotnet35
------------------------------------------------------
wineserver not found!
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ ./winetricks -q dotnet35
-bash: ./winetricks: No such file or directory
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ Ben$ sh winetricks -q dotnet35
wineserver not found!
I've gone from "no such file or directory" to "wineserver not found!" so I'm counting that as progress, at least I hope it is. I looked up the problem and from what I saw it was mostly lumped in with "no such file or directory" instead of a separate error message.

Additionally, Wineskin also has a "winetricks" interface but it doesn't recognize any of the provided commands, don't know if the exec I found was the interface.

Again L Rahyen thank you for helping, it is greatly appreciated.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

CrazyHairdo wrote:Ok, almost there. Again, thank you so much for your help and patience, must be like handholding a toddler or something.
It's OK, do not worry about it, this is not your fault anyway. The reason this turned out more complicated than expected is because in this case many articles are either Linux-specific or provide wrong or incomplete information about Mac-specific things, and since I do not have a Mac, we have to figure out issues one step at a time.
CrazyHairdo wrote:chmod: winetricks: No such file or directory
That means you do not have winetricks file in current directory. You can check current directory with "pwd" command.
$ winetricks -q dotnet35
wineserver not found!
Since "winetricks -q dotnet35" previously gave you "-bash: winetricks: command not found" error, it seems you managed to install it at one of your attempts. The error message says that it cannot find wineserver. Either you do not have Wine installed or wineserver is not in any of directories listed in your $PATH. Run "wine --version" - if it returns error that it is not found, then you definitely do not have Wine installed. This is a guide how to install plain Wine on Mac: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ . It looks complicated though. I do not know if there is easier way to install plain Wine on Mac.
Wineskin also has a "winetricks" interface but it doesn't recognize any of the provided commands
You previously said you are using plain Wine, but Wineskin is third-party wrapper and is not supported here. This forum is for plain Wine only. I'm happy to continue helping you if you choose to use plain Wine and winetricks and have more questions or issues, however if what you really want is to get help with Wineskin, you need to ask help on their forum: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-v ... ?forumId=1 .
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Wineskin should have all Winetricks commands. On the GUI you can "Update Winetricks" to get the latest version.

All it does is download Winetricks and parse the script to generate available options for the menu.
CrazyHairdo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CrazyHairdo »

So apparently I did everything right from a software standpoint. Winetricks was already installed (albeit in a different area), recognized a few haphazard commands, and dotnet35 was installed, yet I still found problems. That's because I'm running an Intel 4000 MacBook and Medieval II can't use any Intels from 3000-5000. So it was a hardware problem all along.

Thank you so much for your help L. Rahyen, I learned a lot about how to use Wineskin/Winetricks/Wine and programming in general through this process, but it was all for nought.