Wine window not maximizing in Mac OS X

Questions about Wine on macOS.
PhilTickelson

Post by PhilTickelson »

I recently got a new macbook pro 13", 2.4 Ghz, running Mac OS X 10.6.3.

I am having trouble maximizing the Wine Desktop window that opens when I try running applications. It could be possible that the Wine window can't be stretched or made any bigger, but I'm not sure. If I try to make the window bigger by dragging the bottom right corner, the window gets larger, but it just adds a blank white space. The green + button is grayed out in the window which makes me think that this is as big as it gets, I'm just hoping there's a workaround.

Thanks for the help.
JeZ-l-Lee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JeZ-l-Lee »

On 08/18/2010 04:32 AM, PhilTickelson wrote:

I am having trouble maximizing the Wine Desktop window that opens when I try running applications. It could be possible that the Wine window can't be stretched or made any bigger, but I'm not sure. If I try to make the window bigger by dragging the bottom right corner, the window gets larger, but it just adds a blank white space. The green + button is grayed out in the window which makes me think that this is as big as it gets, I'm just hoping there's a workaround.

Thanks for the help.
Hi,

You can't maximize/stretch the Wine window.

This would be a cool feature, hope its on the ToDo list...

Jesse
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Aug 18, 2010 1:33 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Wine] Wine window not maximizing in Mac OS X

I am having trouble maximizing the Wine Desktop window that opens when I try running applications. It could be
possible that the Wine window can't be stretched or made any bigger, but I'm not sure. If I try to make the
window bigger by dragging the bottom right corner, the window gets larger, but it just adds a blank white space. >> The green + button is grayed out in the window which makes me think that this is as big as it gets, I'm just
hoping there's a workaround.
You can't maximize/stretch the Wine window (on a Mac that is.)

There is a shortcoming of the X that is supplied with Macs that just plain prohibit this and the use of Full Screen. This is being worked on and maybe available in the future.

Crossover has a semi-customized X that will run applications full screen.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine window not maximizing in Mac OS X

Post by doh123 »

James Mckenzie wrote:-----Original Message-----
Sent: Aug 18, 2010 1:33 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Wine] Wine window not maximizing in Mac OS X

I am having trouble maximizing the Wine Desktop window that opens when I try running applications. It could be
possible that the Wine window can't be stretched or made any bigger, but I'm not sure. If I try to make the
window bigger by dragging the bottom right corner, the window gets larger, but it just adds a blank white space. >> The green + button is grayed out in the window which makes me think that this is as big as it gets, I'm just
hoping there's a workaround.
You can't maximize/stretch the Wine window (on a Mac that is.)

There is a shortcoming of the X that is supplied with Macs that just plain prohibit this and the use of Full Screen. This is being worked on and maybe available in the future.

Crossover has a semi-customized X that will run applications full screen.

James McKenzie
There should be a way Wine could tell the window to not allow manual resize, but it would probably be very OSX specific and not wanted in Wine source... I don't think its anything wrong with X11 on Macs other than your not supposed to be able to do it, but X11 still lets you try because its not being told to disable it. If Wine tells the window to resize, it resizes just fine.... graphics scaling with window changes and not just changing the resolution in the window would be cool, but I think that would be a major PITA to implement.

If you're looking for RANDR in Xquartz (to allow fullscreen and resolution switching) look for Xquartz 2.6.0 out by the end of the year, or you can get alpha builds from the xorg-server-devel install on Macports. I have a few games I've been playing on Wine with it, and its actually coming along nicely, at least on 10.6, theres some bugs affecting earlier versions but they should be cleared up soon.