For Mac OS X users... Xquartz and RandR.

Questions about Wine on macOS.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Just as a note.. Xquartz is going to have RANDR capabilities in Xquartz 2.6.0, thanks to the work of Jeremy Huddleston and Jan Hauffa.

Right now on Macports if you install xorg-server-devel it will be a build with what is currently in of RandR... its still not totally finished, but it would be nice if some Mac Users could test how it works so far with Wine... if we find bugs now, it could help lead to a better initial release :-)

for those that don't know...
RANDR will allow you to have fullscreen/rootless and resolution switching correctly.

While it seems to be working rather well for me in a X11 way.. Wine isn't too happy with quartz-wm window manager.. or something between them, so best to turn off window decoration. xrandr is also working better than Wine is... and I'm not sure if some of the issues are with Wine or with Xquartz
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

doh123 wrote:
Just as a note.. Xquartz is going to have RANDR capabilities in Xquartz 2.6.0, thanks to the work of Jeremy Huddleston and Jan Hauffa.

Right now on Macports if you install xorg-server-devel it will be a build with what is currently in of RandR... its still not totally finished, but it would be nice if some Mac Users could test how it works so far with Wine... if we find bugs now, it could help lead to a better initial release :-)
I'll wait for the release. Any schedule on 2.6.0?

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: For Mac OS X users... Xquartz and RandR.

Post by doh123 »

James McKenzie wrote:doh123 wrote:

James McKenzie
better to test it now and find bugs so the release will be better :-)

roadmap schedule for 2.6.0 release is sometime in October.
Charles Davis

Post by Charles Davis »

On 8/14/10 6:49 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
doh123 wrote:
Just as a note.. Xquartz is going to have RANDR capabilities in
Xquartz 2.6.0, thanks to the work of Jeremy Huddleston and Jan Hauffa.

Right now on Macports if you install xorg-server-devel it will be a
build with what is currently in of RandR... its still not totally
finished, but it would be nice if some Mac Users could test how it
works so far with Wine... if we find bugs now, it could help lead to a
better initial release :-)
Go to http://xquartz.macosforge.org/ and click on 'Roadmap'. That says
that 2.6.0 is due around October (though Jeremy might push it back, as
he often has in the past).

Chip
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

doh123 wrote:
James McKenzie wrote:
doh123 wrote:

James McKenzie
better to test it now and find bugs so the release will be better :-)
I don't use (generally) more than one beta on a system at a time. This
means that I would have to backlevel to Wine 1.2 and then put in the
XQuartz 2.6 beta.
roadmap schedule for 2.6.0 release is sometime in October.

That is very subject to 'slippage' as I've seen in the past. However
that is a 'good thing'.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

well I can get it actually working with OSX 10.6 ... but 10.5, it wont work at all for me... even on 10.6 where it "works" ... it still has problems and white screens and multitasking problems... most of the problem is just between rootless and fullscreen switching. if its a game launched in fullscreen and always run in fullscreen, it usually works good, though some games aren't able to pick up available resolutions right... yet others do.