Mac OS X 10.6.2 Installation

Questions about Wine on macOS.
dpwilliams2

Post by dpwilliams2 »

Hello, I'm new and have always wanted to try installing Wine on my Mac but every time I've attempted it I've failed. This time, before I give up, I figured I'd ask for help and see if there is anyone that wouldn't mind taking the time to walk me through the steps.

If you have Mac OS X 10.6.2, patience, and want to help me out. Please let me know and I'll find some way to contact you so we can do this.
ryan woodsmall

Post by ryan woodsmall »

Hello, I'm new and have always wanted to try installing Wine on my
Mac but every time I've attempted it I've failed. This time, before
I give up, I figured I'd ask for help and see if there is anyone
that wouldn't mind taking the time to walk me through the steps.
Documentation is not generally written for posterity; it's to be used,
critiqued and improved.

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building

Where are you having problems? What method(s) have you attempted to
use to install Wine?
Charles Davis

Post by Charles Davis »

On 4/11/10 11:22 PM, dpwilliams2 wrote:
Hello, I'm new and have always wanted to try installing Wine on my Mac but every time I've attempted it I've failed. This time, before I give up, I figured I'd ask for help and see if there is anyone that wouldn't mind taking the time to walk me through the steps.

If you have Mac OS X 10.6.2, patience, and want to help me out. Please let me know and I'll find some way to contact you so we can do this.
First of all, how are you trying to install Wine? From source? Through
MacPorts? Fink?

And how does it fail? What gets printed to the Terminal/Console?

Chip
dpwilliams2

Post by dpwilliams2 »

I think I've tried just about every different way over the last couple months to a year and I just can't seem to get it to work so maybe if I could Instant Message one of you and you can work me through it?

I don't know, I just am not having any luck with this.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

dpwilliams2 wrote:I think I've tried just about every different way over the last couple months to a year and I just can't seem to get it to work so maybe if I could Instant Message one of you and you can work me through it?

Macports is the easiest way to go.. you can easily get the latest builds of Xquartz and Wine and have them work together good...

if you want to build everything manually from source, its a major pain.
Charles Davis

Post by Charles Davis »

On 4/12/10 2:31 PM, dpwilliams2 wrote:
I think I've tried just about every different way over the last couple months to a year and I just can't seem to get it to work so maybe if I could Instant Message one of you and you can work me through it?
EVERY possible way? Did you try using MacPorts? Did you try using Fink?
Did you try installing from source? Did you try installing a binary
distribution? There are other ways (*cough*WineBottler*cough*), but
they're not supported here.
If you tell us what's wrong (i.e. error messages, Terminal output,
etc.), we can help you. (We can't help you with 3rd-party products like
WineBottler, though.)

Chip
Ryan Woodsmall

Post by Ryan Woodsmall »

On Monday, April 12, 2010, at 03:31PM, "dpwilliams2" <[email protected]> wrote:
Nobody is going to direct/private/instant message you, nor should they Wine is a community-supported effort. Sending private help to users who either choose not to or cannot answer questions about what they've tried, where they're failing, etc., benefits exactly no one. Asking for private help on a public forum/mailing list is a faux pas. We're trying to help you here, and in doing so, help other folks who may have the same problem you're encountering - whatever it may be. Please read and understand the documentation the community provides:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building

And describe what you've tried. "Everything" is not an acceptable answer. As mentioned previously you should be able to install Wine using a scripted method, like MacPorts. This is not technically supported by the folks on the forums/mailing lists hosted at winehq.org, but you may have luck following step-by-step guides like this (for MacPorts):

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

If you have issues with MacPorts, you'll need to discuss with them. Using a binary distribution, like Mike Kronenberg's WineBottler will probably get you up and running quickly too, but again, support issues for distributions such as this will need to be taken up with the package maintainer:

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

Charles Davis wrote:
On 4/12/10 2:31 PM, dpwilliams2 wrote:
EVERY possible way? Did you try using MacPorts? Did you try using Fink?
Did you try installing from source? Did you try installing a binary
distribution? There are other ways (*cough*WineBottler*cough*)
:-)

Actually, there is still Darwine, if you really, really want it....

Your Milage May Vary...

However, if you want the fastest, bestest way: MacPorts.

Fink is another way, but I don't know if the build is current.

Lastly, if you are really lazy and want to test BETA software, WineBottler.

Of course, doh123 builds WineSkin as well (and he is solely responsible
for its support).

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mac OS X 10.6.2 Installation

Post by doh123 »

James McKenzie wrote: Of course, doh123 builds WineSkin as well (and he is solely responsible
for its support).
Thats true.. if you really don;t want to build Wine, and just use Wine, I can help you with Wineskin. Commonly asked questions and such I add to the FAQ and manual. Its at http://wineskin.doh123.com/

If you want the best working Mac Wine with the best support, I'd suggest buying Crossover though. Its a really nice product and makes things pretty easy. I try to make Wineskin nice, but its still not as good as Crossover for general Wine usage.

Building Wine and using it all command line is not for everyone, its why different products exist.
davek

Post by davek »

I'm in the same boat, i'm running the same version of Mac OSX and i can't get it to work for me.
The closest i got to it working is using macports before i upgraded to 10.6, i had it working and installing until it quit because of my version of Xcode. Since then i've updated the OS, Xcode and X11 and tried again following these
instructions. I get to using wine-devel in macports, i get:

---> Computing dependencies for wine-devel
Error: Requested variants "+macosx+universal" do not match original selection "+macosx".
Please use the same variants again, perform 'port clean tiff' or specify the force option (-f).
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: lcms tiff libpng libxml2 libxslt mesa glut makedepend pkgconfig xorg-xproto xorg-dri2proto xorg-glproto xorg-libXfixes xorg-fixesproto xorg-libX11 xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-libXdmcp xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans xorg-libXi xorg-libXext xorg-libXmu xorg-libXt xorg-libsm xorg-libice ncurses ncursesw openssl xorg-libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-renderproto xrender xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto xorg-libXrandr xorg-randrproto xorg-libXxf86vm xorg-xf86vidmodeproto
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag to get complete output.

no idea what this means, but i'm stuck anyway.
Any help would be appreciated thanks
davek

Post by davek »

i've also tried the .dmg but can't seem to get my head around it
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

I'm in the same boat, i'm running the same version of Mac OSX and i can't get it to work for me.
The closest i got to it working is using macports before i upgraded to 10.6, i had it working and installing until it quit because of my version of Xcode. Since then i've updated the OS, Xcode and X11 and tried again following these
instructions. I get to using wine-devel in macports, i get:

---> Computing dependencies for wine-devel
Error: Requested variants "+macosx+universal" do not match original selection "+macosx".
This is a MacPorts issue and needs to be brought to their attention. Nothing we can do here about it.

James McKenzie
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

i've also tried the .dmg but can't seem to get my head around it
This is a Disk iMaGe file (.dmg). You download it from the supplier. Then you click on the downloaded file and it mounts as a new disk. Look in the disk image file for either a 'drag and drop' annotation or a readme file that will instruct you on how to install the file. For most installable files, you drag them into the Applications folder and then run the application from that folder. Some disk image files include a .pkg file within them and those are installed by double clicking on them to activate the Apple Installer. I prefer the first version as all you have to do to to get rid of the application is click on it and drag it to the Trash. The second requires an uninstaller, and some programs I've looked at had either poor uninstallers or no uninstaller at all.

Again: Your milage may vary and use at your own risk.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

davek wrote: ---> Computing dependencies for wine-devel
Please use the same variants again, perform 'port clean tiff' or specify the force option (-f).
in other words tiff is partially built with a different setting, because you tried before. If you do what it tells you to do, as in type 'port clean tiff' it will clean off the tiff install so it can start over.... it tells you what to do right there.