Questions about Wine on macOS.
rin67630
Level 2
Level 2

macOS Mojave wine 5.0 cannot find the FreeType font library

Post by rin67630 »

Hi, nice to be new here.
I am in trouble.
I am on macOS Mojave (last version) and get a blocking error on trying to start Wine 5.0. (today's version)

Code: Select all

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
I have begun by installing
XQuartz with the brew method.

brew install --cask xquartz
Then I tried to install Wine with the brew method as well

brew tap homebrew/cask-versions
brew install --cask --no-quarantine (selected wine package)
however, since you did not specify how to litterally enter (selected wine package) I was not successful.
(an example for a valid syntax would have been helpful)

So i decided to use the downloaded Installer for "Wine Stable 5.0" .pkg and ran the installation without errors.
But as soon as I started an .exe e.g. PasswordSafe.exe I got above mentioned error.

That seems related to a rogue install of XQuartz, according to my net findings.
So i reinstalled XQuartz using the .pkg provided.

But that did not help still the same error.
(under http://www.freetype.org I can't find any install for macOS at all)

How can I get out of that pit?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you!
rin67630
Level 2
Level 2

Re: macOS Mojave wine 5.0 cannot find the FreeType font library

Post by rin67630 »

I must precise: I was so eager, that I also ticked 64bit.
Is that relevant?

How can I remove everything and restart cleanly?
rin67630
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rin67630 »

I have now taken radical methods and restored my whole system 10 days back, before I started to fiddle with Wine.
So I started cleanly with installing XQuartz and then Wine 5.0 (only 32 bit) from the regular .pkg files.
I am afraid to mention that the picture is the same:

wine notepad.exe
or equal to 2.0.5.
or equal to 2.0.5.
or equal to 2.0.5.
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
0009:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "winspool.drv" failed to initialize, aborting
0009:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\notepad.exe" failed, status c0000005
Still no chance to get further...
rin67630
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rin67630 »

I can add an information:
since I have installed XQuartz, I could try to run another Linux computer from X11.
It ran without problem and showed perfectly every front of the client computer, so the Xquartz server seem to look fine.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Directly quoting the section;
wine-stable, wine-devel or wine-staging packages can be installed using the above example. The advantage of installing via homebrew means wine is available from a standard terminal session The --no-quarantine line to used to above brew adding the quarantine bit
As can be seen you have a choice from;
wine-stable
wine-devel
wine-staging

So for example let’s select wine-stable

brew install --cask --no-quarantine wine-stable
This will install the current “Wine Stable.app” into /Applications along with adding symlinks into /usr/local/bin meaning you can directly use wine(64) from a stock terminal session.
rin67630
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rin67630 »

Thank you.
I have removed the previous .pkg installed Wine5.0.app and done the brew install according to your instructions
and ... it works!

👍

Maybe adding exactly that example in the install instructions could help to avoid confusions?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

rin67630 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:22 pm Thank you.
I have removed the previous .pkg installed Wine5.0.app and done the brew install according to your instructions
and ... it works!

👍

Maybe adding exactly that example in the install instructions could help to avoid confusions?
I can edit the relevant wiki section to provide a complete example, I really need to rewrite the majority of the macOS wiki sections still.