Emulate Ins key on Mac laptop keyboard?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Emulate Ins key on Mac laptop keyboard?

Post by emendelson »

I'm not sure where to request this, and if it shouldn't be here, I hope someone will point to the right place.

Is there any chance that Wine could emulate the PC "Ins" (insert) key on a Mac laptop keyboard? Perhaps with something like Cmd-DownArrow (which is what DOSBox-X uses, apparently)?

I've tried working with keyboard.c, but I'm not expert enough to figure out how to assign a key-combination, which seems to be needed here.

Thanks for any help with this.
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Emulate Ins key on Mac laptop keyboard?

Post by JoseskVolpe »

I'm not sure if there's another key that replaces Ins. But you can request any feature on Bugzilla: https://bugs.winehq.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Wine
Set severity to "enhancement"
omf

Post by omf »

I've had the same need for the INS/insert key while using Microsoft's Remote Desktop client (nothing to do with Wine). For whatever reason, even though there's a dedicated INS key on full-size Mac keyboards, it's very difficult to get that precise keycode out of the smaller keyboards.

The official way to get an INS key is to use Fn-Enter. Give that a try, but it didn't work for me in RDP. I think the reason this doesn't work is because "Enter" is a different key on Macs from "Return", and all the smaller keyboards only have a "Return" key, so it's impossible to hit Fn-Enter on anything but a full-size keyboard!

Eventually I was forced to use Better Touch Tool to create a keyboard macro that would send the INS key. But even there, it wasn't easy to do: I had to plug in an external keyboard to "record" the key I wanted. No virtual keyboard or use of Fn-Enter would work.

Good luck!
rin67630
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rin67630 »

From a Mac Forum

Use of PC Insert key on Mac

To use Insert on the Mac book pro press Fn and Return key at same time! It works! especially in windows programmed environments.

Please report if it solves your case.