32-bit Wineprefix error

Questions about Wine on macOS.
passengerpigeon

32-bit Wineprefix error

Post by passengerpigeon »

Dear community,
I recently got a Windows 98 game from a thrift store and the installer failed with the error "Windows NT not supported". In order to run it in compatibility mode for 98, I need to make a 32-bit Wineprefix, so I followed the instructions on the official wiki and ran the following command within my .wine directory:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="Users/(myname)/.wine/drive_w" winecfg

Which returned the following error:

wine: invalid directory Users/(myname)/.wine/drive_w in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path

What can I do to solve this, or did I type it wrong? I have tried searching Google already, but seemingly none of the replies to similar issues explain why this error is occurring. Note that I am running System 10.9 Mavericks and not Crap-talina, so 32-bit support is no issue.

Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 32-bit Wineprefix error

Post by Gcenx »

passengerpigeon wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:05 pm Dear community,
I recently got a Windows 98 game from a thrift store and the installer failed with the error "Windows NT not supported". In order to run it in compatibility mode for 98, I need to make a 32-bit Wineprefix, so I followed the instructions on the official wiki and ran the following command within my .wine directory:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="Users/(myname)/.wine/drive_w" winecfg

Which returned the following error:

wine: invalid directory Users/(myname)/.wine/drive_w in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path

What can I do to solve this, or did I type it wrong? I have tried searching Google already, but seemingly none of the replies to similar issues explain why this error is occurring. Note that I am running System 10.9 Mavericks and not Crap-talina, so 32-bit support is no issue.

Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.
You were missing a forward slash, also make sure you chance out (myname) is your user name.
Also remove "/drive_w" thats not required.
Also use a different name for the prefix than the default something like wine32

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="/Users/(myname)/.wine32" winecfg
passengerpigeon

Re: 32-bit Wineprefix error

Post by passengerpigeon »

Gcenx wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:42 am
You were missing a forward slash, also make sure you chance out (myname) is your user name.
Also remove "/drive_w" thats not required.
Also use a different name for the prefix than the default something like wine32

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="/Users/(myname)/.wine32" winecfg
Late reply, but I tried the code you posted just now and got the following error instead:

"-bash: winecfg: command not found"

Any idea what I did wrong this time?