Customize cmd prompt (different font/size)?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Customize cmd prompt (different font/size)?

Post by emendelson »

Is it possible to change the default font for a wine cmd window (in macOS)? On my system at least, the default Courier font is not smoothed and smaller than I would prefer. Is there a registry setting that I can use to change this? Many thanks for any help.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Customize cmd prompt (different font/size)?

Post by Gcenx »

Here what you could try, install corefonts from winetricks and then use retina mode and up the DPI configuration within winecfg.

(The DPI slider is auto set if using Wineskin retina mode checkbox)
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emendelson »

Thank you! I've been experimenting on a non-retina machine (early 2015 MacBook Air) and won't get back to my Retina machine until next week. But changing the dpi slider to 120 definitely helped, even though the fonts aren't smoothed. The Windows program that I'm running in this setup continued to display at the correct resolution, which I suppose is by design.

After installing the core fonts and Lucida Console, I tried (in Regedit) setting the console font to Lucida Console, but this didn't work. I'll have to look at a real Windows machine to get the correct syntax, but of course I don't know if this is supported at all.

Thanks again!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Winetricks does contain some font smoothing setting using one might help improve this but I believe I’d had the best luck with patching freetype and forcing some rendering options but it’s been a while so might be mistaken.

There was an attempt to improve the fonts look in winbox-mac where you’d use the font replacement registry strings but that didn’t pan out, but it’s possible one of the wine defaults conflicted with this.

Maybe eventually one of us will dig into this problem.
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emendelson »

You're right: in Winetricks, I enabled fontsmooth=gray and fontsmooth=rgb and the console looks a lot better than it did. It would look even better with Lucida Console, I think, but, as you say, the registry entry doesn't have any effect. I tried adding the key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Console\TrueTypeFont

and added an entry named "0" with the string "Lucida Console", which seems to be right in Windows, but doesn't have any effect in Wine that I can see.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Wine handles this differently, here’s an example of how it should work

Code: Select all

HKCU,Software\Wine\Fonts\Replacements,"Segoe UI",,"Roboto"
HKCU,Software\Wine\Fonts\Replacements,"Courier New",,"JetBrains Mono"
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes,"MS Shell Dlg",,"Roboto"
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes,"MS Shell Dlg 2",,"Roboto"
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emendelson »

Thank you again - I didn't know any of that.

I tried this for the console, but the font still looks like Courier New. Of course I could have this entirely wrong...

Code: Select all

HKCU,Software\Wine\Fonts\Replacements,"Courier New",,"Lucida Console"
With font smoothing and dpi=120 the console is entirely usable, so don't spend any more time on this unless the answer is obvious. Thank you again!