Wine on Mac OS X Catalina

Questions about Wine on macOS.
AkhiMertail

Wine on Mac OS X Catalina

Post by AkhiMertail »

Hi guys,

I have seen a few of your posts about the issue that wine has on Mac OS X Catalina because of the 32-bit restriction.

I recently moved from a Windows laptop to a MacBook Pro and I'm kinda new in the industry. I am studying system administration but I'm still in the beginning so I have some basic knowledge of Linux so far, not enough to help me find a way about working with Wine, however.

I would like to ask, in summary, what would be the best way to install Wine to play some PC games? I am currently mostly looking to play World of Warcraft and / or Dead By Daylight. Is there a way that these games can be played on Catalina currently?

The MacBook is kinda strong so it shouldn't have an issue with whatever method is possible with Wine about performance, as far as I know.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine on Mac OS X Catalina

Post by Gcenx »

Winehq aka upstream wine doesn’t currently support running 32Bit Windows binaries on macOS Catalina.

CodeWeavers provide a commercial version of wine that does function on macOS Catalina/Big Sur and Apple Silicon via Rosetta2 called CrossOver.

CodeWeavers employ multiple wine developers and submit code upstream, currently Julliard is blocking CodeWeavers method from being upstreamed as it requires a custom version or llvm/clang.

WoW Retail/Retail Classic have native macOS clients.