HP Chamber of Secrets Crash

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Scientin
Level 2
Level 2

HP Chamber of Secrets Crash

Post by Scientin »

I'm running wine 5.7 for Mac. My computer OS is 10.11.6. I've been using wine to run my old Harry Potter video games for windows very successfully so far, but today in-game I switched one of the graphics settings from 32 to 16bit and the game crashed. It continues to crash as soon as I select a save file. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, nothing. This is the error message it gives me each time.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 10.36.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 10.36.30 AM.png (18.37 KiB) Viewed 19552 times
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HP Chamber of Secrets Crash

Post by Gcenx »

You’ll need to figure out what registry setting you need to change/remove to set the game back to the working settings.

On Windows application/game setting are saved to the registry.

Another alternative is creating a clean wineprefix.
Scientin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scientin »

Gcenx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:46 pm You’ll need to figure out what registry setting you need to change/remove to set the game back to the working settings.

On Windows application/game setting are saved to the registry.

Another alternative is creating a clean wineprefix.
Okay, how would I do either of those things?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Check the macOS wiki for more information on wine usage, use regedit to edit the registry.

To make a new wineprefix also see the wiki, you can ether make another wineprefix pr remove your current one and create a new one, but this will wipe anything you’ve installed already.
Scientin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scientin »

Gcenx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:26 pm Check the macOS wiki for more information on wine usage, use regedit to edit the registry.

To make a new wineprefix also see the wiki, you can ether make another wineprefix pr remove your current one and create a new one, but this will wipe anything you’ve installed already.
Okay, I managed to get regedit up and locate the registry for this application. I'm not seeing anything in here regarding the video settings. Not really sure what I'm missing here.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.09.48 PM.png
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Check under the 1.0 directory that’s shown.

If that doesn’t contain anything see were the games saves are located maybe there a config file of some kind that will lightly contains the settings your looking for.
Scientin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Scientin »

Gcenx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:21 pm Check under the 1.0 directory that’s shown.

If that doesn’t contain anything see were the games saves are located maybe there a config file of some kind that will lightly contains the settings your looking for.
Nothing in the 1.0 directory, no config file with the game saves. I also tried to make a new wineprefix but no luck yet. Haven't tried removing the current one, is there anything else I can try before doing that?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You can crate a new wineprefix using a unique name then setting the WINEPREFIX variable force wine to use that instead of your current default .wine prefix.

Doing this you can install the game again and see if there’s still an issue.

As your running an older version of macOS unfortunately I can’t have you test a newer version of wine as I don’t target anything below 10.13.