Running games through wine quickly fills up my storage

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Running games through wine quickly fills up my storage

Post by Dendroas »

As the title says, I think the terminal operations take up a lot of space on my storage to the point where running a game for a long amount of time is impossible. Restarting my laptop seems to have freed some 2GB compared to when I was running the game, so I know the storage is not permanently taken up, but how do I prevent this from happening or at least reduce it?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Running games through wine quickly fills up my storage

Post by Gcenx »

Once you have your game installed and running nice, you could just create an Apple Script launcher that loads the game using the installed copy of wine. There's an example in the macOS wiki section.

As you installed using brew wine will be available here /usr/local/bin/wine
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

I assume this is the example on the wiki that you are referring to:

Code: Select all

on run

--edit this to be the correct location and file to run (typically only edit after the "drive_c")
   set toRun to "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/MyProgram/MyProgramName.exe"

--edit winePrefix if you are not using the default prefix
   set winePrefix to "$HOME/.wine"

--edit wineLocation if your wine install is not the default location
   set wineLocation to "/usr/local/bin"

--edit dyldFallbackLibraryPath to your X11 lib folder, this one is set for XQuartz on 10.6+
   set dyldFallbackLibraryPath to "/opt/X11/lib"

--Setting freetype rendering to 35 fixes blurred fonts when using newer freetype versions
  set freetypefix to "truetype:interpreter-version=35"
   -------------------------------------------------------
   --DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE
   -------------------------------------------------------
   set toRunPath to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR%/*}\""
   set toRunFile to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; TEMPVAR2=\"" & toRunPath & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR#$TEMPVAR2/}\""
   do shell script "PATH=\"" & wineLocation & ":$PATH\"; export WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=\"" & dyldFallbackLibraryPath & "\"; export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=\"" & freetypefix & "\"; cd \"" & toRunPath & "\"; wine \"" & toRunFile & "\" > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

end run
I tried changing the program in the first line to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steam.exe (I tried going through Wine Explorer to find where the specific game got saved but it's not in the steam folder, so I just decided I'd test the script launcher with Steam itself) and it's not working at all. I left everything else the same as the instructions suggest, but if I save the script as an app it simply doesn't open anything. Should I try with the specific game or is it a matter of my version of wine being different from the default?

Also, this might be related, but I'm using gcenx-wine-devel and I the only way I can open Wine is through the terminal.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I’ll take a look over that Apple Script again tonight as I’m currently at work.

Yes I know your using you package it doesn’t make much of a difference.