Can install Steam.exe but can't run it

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Can install Steam.exe but can't run it

Post by Dendroas »

As the title says, I'm having trouble running Steam. If I run the installer, it works, and it makes me go all the way to opening up the app. Then, a Steam update window pops up but, when the update finishes downloading, nothing happens and Steam shuts down.

If I click on "add application" through the winecfg command on Wine Stable and open drive_c/Program Files (x86) I can see the app is there with all the files, but I still can't open it.

My specs are:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Processor: 2.2 GHx intel core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDL3 with 16 available GB (clearing some more of that right now)
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can install Steam.exe but can't run it

Post by Gcenx »

From the terminal session run “wine explorer”

Now navigate to where Steam is install and launch it as you would on Windows.

If you still have problems please provide the exact version of wine being used and any terminal output.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

I'm using Wine Stable version 5.0

I tried to do what you suggested and, again, the app ran an update message then didn't open. The terminal output is a bit too large to copy-paste here, there are several dozen "fixme" messages, but here are some that look like error messages:

Code: Select all

err = 1 /Volumes/Datas/Dev/SomicAudio_dev/NahimicAPO_Mac/NahimicAPO_Mac/Source/mach_override.c:243

Assertion failed: (!err), function New_PlugIn, file/Volumes/Datas/Dev/SomicAudio_dev/NahimicAPO_Mac/NahimicAPO_Mac/Source/APO_PlugIn.mm, line 1665.

0194:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution
I took all of these from the bottom of the terminal, but as I said the output was much larger.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

After an update sometime Steam likes to open in the taskbar only so check for a Steam icon around there.

Wine-Stable-5.0 is over a year old now, if your running macOS High Sierra and later I do provide updates packages that can be installed using homebrew.

brew tap gcenx/wine
brew install --no-quarantine gcenx-wine-stable
The tap also provides wine-devel and wine-staging, the gcenx-(package) is required due to how brew (doesn’t) handle duplicate package names.

Thought I haven’t tried to use Steam on upstream wine recently, just ensure you install corefonts using winetricks.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

When I run that through the terminal, I get this message (I just censored bits where it shows my full name):

Updating Homebrew...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 2 taps (homebrew/core and homebrew/cask).
==> Updated Formulae
Updated 8 formulae.
==> Updated Casks
Updated 5 casks.

[myname]s-MacBook-Pro:~ [myusername]$ brew install --no-quarantine gcenx-wine-stable
Error: Cask 'gcenx-wine-stable' conflicts with 'wine-stable'
Sorry if I'm missing some requirements, but it seems like it's treating the two packages as duplicate despite them having different names?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Brew explains the issue.

Error: Cask 'gcenx-wine-stable' conflicts with 'wine-stable'
You need to uninstall wine-stable before attempting to install a conflicting cask.

The wine-* casks including mine add symlinks to the wine provided binaries into $PATH, so only a single version can be installed at once due to this.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

I was able to install your cask, but then I tried to open the app and the same thing happened. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Steam but nothing happened. Here are the last few lines of the very long terminal popup that appears every time I try to run it:

err = 1 /Volumes/Datas/Dev/SomicAudio_dev/NahimicAPO_Mac/NahimicAPO_Mac/Source/mach_override.c:243
err = 1 /Volumes/Datas/Dev/SomicAudio_dev/NahimicAPO_Mac/NahimicAPO_Mac/Source/mach_override.c:257
err = 1 /Volumes/Datas/Dev/SomicAudio_dev/NahimicAPO_Mac/NahimicAPO_Mac/Source/mach_override.c:262
Assertion failed: (!err), function New_PlugIn, file /Volumes/Datas/Dev/SomicAudio_dev/NahimicAPO_Mac/NahimicAPO_Mac/Source/APO_PlugIn.mm, line 1665.
01f8:fixme:seh:get_thread_times not implemented on this platform
0188:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0031FE94 00000000): stub
0188:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
0154:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0031FE94 00000000): stub
While Steam updates, there is no icon on the taskbar, but there is an icon on the dock with the Steam logo labelled "wine-preloader."
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I didn't try gcenx-wine-stable but gcenx-wine-devel launched the Steam client in a clean 64Bit wineprefix without major issues.

The usual No Steam Store/Library but these are known issues for Steam.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

I tried running it with gcenx-wine-devel and it gave me the same result. Honestly, I'm now worried there might be an underlying issue that I'm missing, and I don't know how much we can do through the forum. I don't know if it only applies to Steam either, it's just the only app I've been trying to run on Wine.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I’d guess the issue is something with SomicAudio that you have installed on your system.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

Wow, it's a software I installed a long time ago that came in the instructions of a new headset, I deleted it and now the app is running. No idea why it got in the way, but good job spotting that, I actually forgot I had it on my computer in the first place.

Now the question is, how do I fix the store and library not showing? You said they are known issues, I wonder if there's a separate thread about it lol

Edit: actually, all the tabs are completely blank
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Yeah it's unfortunately a known issue that still affects macOS (think it's resolved on Linux?)

Launch Steam.exe via wine using the following command;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-browser
start steam://open/minigameslist
This will skip the no working browser and load directly to the mini library view, so you'll still be able to install titles you already own.
Dendroas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dendroas »

Wonderful, now everything works! Just FYI, I had to remove the "-no-browser" command from what you copied.