MFC CWebBrowser2 crashing on Catalina

Questions about Wine on macOS.
adamAC
Level 2
Level 2

MFC CWebBrowser2 crashing on Catalina

Post by adamAC »

Hi,

I am currently looking to get a Windows app working on macOS and I have encountered an issue with CWebBrowser2 (or IWebBrowser2) which results in a crash. CWebBrowser2 is an auto-generated MFC header file from the WebBrowser2 ActiveX control on Windows.

This part of the app works perfectly fine on Mojave and High Sierra but crashes on Catalina.

I am running a custom build of Wine, which I have built myself, although I have not made any code changes (yet). See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34051 for my endeavours with that.

So, running my app on Catalina crashes at the point when calling Navigate(...) on the CWebBrowser2 control. All this is supposed to be doing is showing the EULA, which is a local HTML file. I do wonder whether this is a permissions issue on Catalina.

Unfortunately, when clicking "Show Details" on the "Program Error" window results in closing everything so I cannot access the call stack or location of the exception. Running this app from a Terminal I was able to determine that the crash was caused by a null-pointer exception.

I added a try-catch around the call to Navigate(...) but the null-pointer exception is not caught and the app still crashes.

Anyone any ideas?