Help please!! Lost all my files from a winebottler app

Questions about Wine on macOS.
WineN00b6745

Help please!! Lost all my files from a winebottler app

Post by WineN00b6745 »

Hi there, i've been using wine with no problems for nearly two years now. My main use for wine has been to use FL Studio, a DAW that was previously unavailable on mac. However, today i updated my system software to Catalina 10.15. I stupidly assumed there would be cross compatibility but after doing 2 mins of research on these forums i found that not to be the case. Over the past two years i have created loads of song files and never put too much thought as to where these files were saving. My problem now is that i cant seem to find them anywhere on my mac :( I used WineBottler to create an app shortcut to open up FL and i'm unsure whether or not Catalina has deleted all of these files? If anyone could shed some light onto where they could be i would be greatly appreciated
Thanks a lot
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Help please!! Lost all my files from a winebottler app

Post by SetantaLP »

First of all: Winebottler is not supported here, since it's a wine wrapper (see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16403). The only thing supported here is plain wine as provided in the downloads section.
Concerning your files:
What Catalina might have deleted (depending on how it handles executable files with an incompatible architecture) are 32bit executables (because it no longer supports 32bit programs), while the files you created should still be there (unless something went wrong during the update). Where these files are stored depends on the location of the prefix the Winebottler Shortcut uses, which is by default set to

Code: Select all

~/Wine Files
, but can be changed in the startup window. A list of all known prefixes is stored inside org.kronenberg.Wine.plist and org.kronenberg.WineBottler.plist which can be found under ‎

Code: Select all

⁨~/Library⁩/⁨Preferences⁩
If you don't see the library folder in Finder (which is normal unless you told finder to show hidden files) you can use Go To Folder (shift + cmd + g) and paste the path into the window it opens or use terminal (type open, paste the path and press enter).