HOW DO YOU RUN A GAME IN 64BIT (Trying to play Pathologic 2 through Steam)

Questions about Wine on macOS.
MarbL

HOW DO YOU RUN A GAME IN 64BIT (Trying to play Pathologic 2 through Steam)

Post by MarbL »

I've been trying to play Pathologic 2 on steam for about a week now and I've made some progress and I feel I'm very close to cracking it, but I'm at a loss here and would really love some help. I'm very new to Wine and not the wisest tech wizard so hopefully my problem isn't that hard to solve. Jump to the last paragraph if you want the real crux of my issue, everything before that is just additional info about what I've been doing.

Just a heads up I'm using macOSX El Capitan on a MacBook Air

So I started with trying to run Pathologic Classic HD since it's a way older game and probably easier to run in Wine. Things went smoothly for the most part right off the bat, but once I had the game downloaded through steam, whenever I would try to launch it, it would bring up a black screen, I'd have a little hourglass cursor, and then it would close completely and Steam wouldn't even say it's running. Basically a simple crash upon loading. This is similar to my problem with Pathologic 2 so I thought I'd mention it in case it's relevant. So far I haven't managed to make any games launch through wine, though granted I haven't really tried with many.

I tried using Winebottler but it couldn't even launch Steam for me. I'd download steam through Winebottler, and I'd click launch, and a little icon would appear for a moment, then nothing. Is this related?

I tried installing Pathologic 2, but after installing, it would essentially skip the download and say it was fully downloaded instantly. Obviously this wasn't true. When I tried to launch the game, it would say error, you're missing the damn .exe file. I went in and checked and yeah, literally none of the files were there. I tried verifying game installation, and it would immediately say everything was verified and correct, but obviously it still wouldn't run. So I tried using the Wine Development build rather than the Wine Stable, and hey presto, this problem was immediately solved, but now I'm running an even buggier build. Pathologic 2 downloads properly, all the game files are there, but when I launch it, it does everything normally, even says in Steam that the game is running, but no window ever appears. Is this because I'm using the Development build? Does the game need to be reconfigured? My brain hurts.

I tried using Winebottler but it couldn't even launch Steam for me. I'd download steam through Winebottler, and I'd click launch, and a little icon would appear for a moment, then nothing. Is this related?

In the tutorial video I saw that first taught me how to use Wine to run Windows games, it mentioned that a lot of games need to be run in 64 bit. Again, I'm not very computer smart. I've heard 64bit and 32bit get thrown around my whole life but I don't /really/ know what they mean, just that 32bit is old and 64bit is new. I figured since Pathologic 2 is pretty new, it probably needs to be run in 64bit. The video seemed to imply that this could be done with winecfg, but I tried figuring that out, and all I could find was that I could tell it to run certain programs in specific versions of Windows. Is this what the video meant by running things in 64bit? I tried running it in Windows 8.1, since that's new and probably has something to do with 64bit, and because considering when Pathologic 2 was released, it certainly should be compatible with 64bit. But this didn't work.

TL;DR part:
Now here's the funky part. I tried looking up Pathologic 2's compatibility with Wine, (obviously I'm taking a risk here in the first place, this game is pretty new even if it is indie and not very demanding), and hot damn somebody made a post of test results for running Pathologic 2 in wine (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=38004), and they said it worked great. This gives me hope. But, they are running it on fedora not mac, so that throws things off. Most importantly, they specifically say that they had to run it in 64bit to get it to work, just as I suspected! It even mentioned something about how to do this, saying the game launches with a simple WINEPREFIX= wine64 ./Pathologic.exe. So, okay, I copy and paste that into the terminal. Nothing happens. I try to do WINEPREFIX= wine64 [the actual path to my .exe file]. I try looking up how what the fuck prefixes are and how to run things in 64bit through Wine. NOTHING WORKS. I'm at my wit's end here. Obviously there's a way to specifically tell wine to run a program in 64bit but I cannot for the life of me figure out how and I don't even really know what the hell that means in the first place. PLEASE help if you can, I'm so desperate to play this amazing game.

Thanks, friends! Happy to provide additional info if any is needed.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HOW DO YOU RUN A GAME IN 64BIT (Trying to play Pathologic 2 through Steam)

Post by Gcenx »

Don’t use winebottler!, use a winehq release.

The first game “Pathologic Classic HD” shouldn’t have an issues running since it’s a DirectX9 game. Terminal output would be useful here to try debugging the issue.

The second game “Pathologic 2” you won’t be running that as it requires DirectX11, wine on macOS only support DirectX9 and below.
Your MacBook Air most lightly won’t be running this game even using bootcamp, MacBook Air’s contain a lower end integrated GPU.

You can’t copy/paste things into terminal and expect them to work especially when your using a third party utility (winebottler) you would need to be running a winehq release and launch the app then use commands via the terminal window it will have opened.
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SetantaLP »

Concerning WINEPREFIX: this environment-variable is used to tell wine that is should not use ~/.wine as base for all the windows related data (the registry, the dlls and also settings/other data for the programs you run through wine). So there has to be a path after WINEPREFIX and if not, wine will most likely not work at all.
MarbL

Post by MarbL »

I only tried winebottler once since I was having so much trouble with winehq. But it couldn’t even launch stream lmao, so I gave up on it. Weird that somebody else claimed to run pathologic 2 no problem? But whatever. Sucks that I can’t even use boot camp. I really wanna play this fuckin game.

Anyway thanks for the help. I guess I’ll just give up 😢
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

MarbL wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:58 am I only tried winebottler once since I was having so much trouble with winehq. But it couldn’t even launch stream lmao, so I gave up on it. Weird that somebody else claimed to run pathologic 2 no problem? But whatever. Sucks that I can’t even use boot camp. I really wanna play this fuckin game.

Anyway thanks for the help. I guess I’ll just give up 😢
Winebottler causes not issues then it resolves, winehq releases are released every two weeks, winebottler is when ever the developer makes an updated wrapping utility, the bundled wine.app also causes support issues as it isn’t a winehq like bundle but a custom one.

Steam launches for me just the UI is worthless since the last two Steam updates.

If you check the app for results you provided a link to, it shows the results were from a Fedora Linux users not someone on macOS.

The last one well you purchased a MacBook Air it’s a low end system designed for “all day battery” not for compute power, for that you would need a recent MacBook Pro like the new 16inch that included a dedicated GPU.