Run 64-bit Wine in Catalina

Questions about Wine on macOS.
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Run 64-bit Wine in Catalina

Post by starparrot »

I'm trying to run 64-bit Wine and a 64-bit Windows app on macOS 10.15.1 Catalina. I have installed Wine Development 4.19 from .pkg including the optional 64-bit support, however the app won't launch from the Applications folder. About This Mac -> System Report shows that Wine Devel is a 32-bit app. How can I launch the 64-bit version of Wine considering that I also installed the optional 64-bit support?

I tried the solution given in this post but it didn't work for me (probably partly due to the reason mentioned above).

Thanks
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Run 64-bit Wine in Catalina

Post by Gcenx »

The app bundles launcher is 32Bit.

You would be better using the a portable version.

You require libfreetype and libpng15 to run wine/wine64

Download a portable release, unpack somewhere within “~/“ add the /wine_unpackaged_name/bin (this folder contains wine, wine64 etc) to PATH

Then you can launch wine64 from a terminal session.
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

Thanks Gcenx. I thought I'd post on here instead of the other threads. I have managed to get wine64 to run a 64 bit Windows app, but the icons are a bit blurry again.

1) I reinstalled Wine Development and XQuartz using Homebrew this time, as you suggested:
Gcenx wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm Not really if you install homebrew

Code: Select all

brew cask install xquartz
brew cask install (wine-stable/wine-devel/wine-staging)

2) I edited wine64 regedit with the settings that you outlined in these two threads - Crossover settings in Wine and wine cfg issues. The settings I edited can be seen in the two screenshots just below.
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 22.06.54.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 22.07.02.jpg

3) I am running a script in to launch the app as originally outlined in this thread (also mentioned above) - wine cfg issues. The script has been modified to launch wine64:

Code: Select all

on run

--edit this to be the correct location and file to run (typically only edit after the "drive_c")
	set toRun to "$HOME/Documents/Trading/Sierra Chart/SierraChart_64.exe"

--edit winePrefix if you are not using the default prefix
	set winePrefix to "$HOME/.wine"

--edit wineLocation if your wine install is not the default location
	--set wineLocation to "/usr/local/bin"
	set wineLocation to "/Applications/Wine Devel.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin"

--edit dyldFallbackLibraryPath to your X11 lib folder, this one is set for XQuartz on 10.6+
	set dyldFallbackLibraryPath to "/opt/X11/lib"

--Setting freetype rendering to 35 fixes blurred fonts when using newer freetype versions
	set freetypefix to "truetype:interpreter-version=35"
	-------------------------------------------------------
	--DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE
	-------------------------------------------------------
	set toRunPath to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR%/*}\""
	set toRunFile to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; TEMPVAR2=\"" & toRunPath & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR#$TEMPVAR2/}\""
	do shell script "PATH=\"" & wineLocation & ":$PATH\"; export WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=\"" & dyldFallbackLibraryPath & "\"; export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=\"" & freetypefix & "\"; cd \"" & toRunPath & "\"; wine64 \"" & toRunFile & "\" > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

end run

4) I think the icons are blurry because I don't have 64 bit versions of libfreetype.6.dylib and libpng15.15.dylib as you outlined here:
Gcenx wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 am If the application is really 64Bit then it’s possible to run it using wine64 on macOS Catalina but you will still need to provide 64Bit versions of libfreetype.6.dylib and libpng15.15.dylib for wine64 to function.
If this is the problem where do I find them?

Thanks!!!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Honestly I can’t tell from the screenshots it looks normal to me? Maybe it because I’m on my phone.

By install XQuartz you have universal (32Bit & 64Bit) versions of libfreetype & libpng15 so that’s not an issue.
I’d mentioned the need for 64Bit versions incase you wanted to just get the two needed dylibs over installing XQuartz.