Installing a game from a .exe

Questions about Wine on macOS.
YuriDoki

Installing a game from a .exe

Post by YuriDoki »

Hey guys, just joined the forum for this post. I've had Wine on my Mac for ages but never learned how to use it, tried and gave up once already and now I'm trying again.

Basically I have a game downloaded called School Days HQ (it's a virtual novel), and I've been trying to install it from a .exe Setup file. There are two of these files, one from each disc of the game (not actual discs, but .iso representations).

The problem is, though I have Wine & Wine Bottler, when I open the Setup.exe to install the game, it asks me the location for the install and then after I select one and click continue the dialog disappears and the task ends. I have no idea what to do next.

What is the problem? I don't have enough memory on the Mac to install the game on there so I was trying to install it onto an external hard-drive - could that be the problem? Or is there something I should do first in order to install from an .exe file?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installing a game from a .exe

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Usually the installation should just work. Can you provide a debug log, aka terminal output?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

DarkShadow44 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm Usually the installation should just work. Can you provide a debug log, aka terminal output?
They are not using a Winehq release, “Wine” that’s bundles with Winebottle isn’t a Winehq release.
YuriDoki

Post by YuriDoki »

I've tried it with both WineHQ and the WineBottler, neither of them worked. I really cannot work out how to use this application! :(
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

As noted, need a debug log.