Application working in Wine on Ubuntu but not on OS X

Questions about Wine on macOS.
fmilano

Application working in Wine on Ubuntu but not on OS X

Post by fmilano »

Hi. I have developed a (research) application in Windows. Many of my colleagues use it in Ubuntu 18.04 with wine-3.0. I have a colleague that wants to use it in OS X (Darwin 18.0.0). After installing Quartz and wine-4.0.2, the application does not even start! It fails with an "unhandled exception: page fault...".

In Ubuntu I do not configure anything in Wine, it just runs ok. Do you have an idea of what could be going on?

Thanks!

Federico
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Application working in Wine on Ubuntu but not on OS X

Post by Gcenx »

Your really not giving anything to work with here.....
We don’t know your application or it’s requirments as you haven’t given that information.
Darwin 18, I’m going to assume you mean macOS Mojave, nobody would say “Darwin 17” instead you would say High Sierra since that’s what’s “about this Mac” would give.

When you first launched wine did you allow gecko and mono to install? On Linux you usually don’t see the prompts but they do get installed.

For anyone to really help you we would require lots from terminal.
Also while what in about to say is usually frowned upon, since you said wine-3.0 worked instead try using wine-3.0 on macOS and see if you get the same result as on Ubuntu, just remember to install gecko/mono when prompted or your wineprefix would be considered corrupted.