wine cfg issues

Questions about Wine on macOS.
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

wine cfg issues

Post by starparrot »

I have installed both Wine Stable (4.0.1) and Wine Development (4.13) separately from .pkg and get similar error messages when launching winecfg in Terminal.
I'm running macOS 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro 15.4-inch with screen resolution of 2880 x 1800.

When installing Wine Stable I also install the optional 64 bit support. When launching winecfg in Terminal I get the following output:

Code: Select all

0024:err:display:macdrv_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 1680x1050x32 @60!
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
Could somebody please let me know what these issues are and how to fix them?

I am ultimately trying to fix font/icon issues with a Windows program I'm running.

Thanks.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: wine cfg issues

Post by Gcenx »

starparrot wrote:I have installed both Wine Stable (4.0.1) and Wine Development (4.13) separately from .pkg and get similar error messages when launching winecfg in Terminal.
I'm running macOS 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro 15.4-inch with screen resolution of 2880 x 1800.

When installing Wine Stable I also install the optional 64 bit support. When launching winecfg in Terminal I get the following output:

0024:err:display:macdrv_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 1680x1050x32 @60!
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
Could somebody please let me know what these issues are and how to fix them?

I am ultimately trying to fix font/icon issues with a Windows program I'm running.

Thanks.
The only real error I see from that terminal output is;

The rest can be safely ignored.

Please give an example for this “font” issue
Same for icon issues
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

Thank you for the rely.

How do I fix this error?

An example of font issues can be seen in the 2 screenshots attached, one is winecfg and the other a popup window in the program I am trying to run.

In winecfg I have tried to "Emulate a virtual desktop" where I set the resolution to 2800 x 1800, and/or, set the screen resolution dpi to 220 (from the default 96).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.32.52.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.32.23.jpg
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

starparrot wrote:Thank you for the rely.

How do I fix this error?

An example of font issues can be seen in the 2 screenshots attached, one is winecfg and the other a popup window in the program I am trying to run.

In winecfg I have tried to "Emulate a virtual desktop" where I set the resolution to 2800 x 1800, and/or, set the screen resolution dpi to 220 (from the default 96).
To fix the fonts you would need to use the following export

export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35"
This forces the newer version of freetype tote using to use an older render mode that will does support.

The other issue is you can’t use Virtual Desktop on macOS unless you swap from using macDriver to X11
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

Thanks Gcenx.
To fix the fonts you would need to use the following export

export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35"
This forces the newer version of freetype tote using to use an older render mode that will does support.
I looked into this and created a launcher in Script Editor which works and includes the fix you listed (code below). I've also started using Wine Development 4.14.

on run

--edit this to be the correct location and file to run (typically only edit after the "drive_c")
	set toRun to "$HOME/Documents/Sierra Chart/SierraChart_64.exe"

--edit winePrefix if you are not using the default prefix
	set winePrefix to "$HOME/.wine"

--edit wineLocation if your wine install is not the default location
	--set wineLocation to "/usr/local/bin"
	set wineLocation to "/Applications/Wine Devel.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/"

--edit dyldFallbackLibraryPath to your X11 lib folder, this one is set for XQuartz on 10.6+
	set dyldFallbackLibraryPath to "/opt/X11/lib"

--Setting freetype rendering to 35 fixes blurred fonts when using newer freetype versions
	set freetypefix to "truetype:interpreter-version=35"
	-------------------------------------------------------
	--DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE
	-------------------------------------------------------
	set toRunPath to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR%/*}\""
	set toRunFile to do shell script "WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; TEMPVAR=\"" & toRun & "\"; TEMPVAR2=\"" & toRunPath & "\"; echo \"${TEMPVAR#$TEMPVAR2/}\""
	do shell script "PATH=\"" & wineLocation & ":$PATH\"; export WINEPREFIX=\"" & winePrefix & "\"; export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=\"" & dyldFallbackLibraryPath & "\"; export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=\"" & freetypefix & "\"; cd \"" & toRunPath & "\"; wine \"" & toRunFile & "\" > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

end run
I've also made the made following changes in the Wine Registry Editor in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Desktop ->:
FontSmoothingType: 1 -> 2
FontSmoothingGamma 0 -> 578

What else can I change to fix blurry fonts (and probably the icons too? I've attached a screenshot of how it currently looks. I've seen references online to fontsmooth, sub pixel smoothing, antialiasing etc., but I can't find entries for these in the Wine Registry Editor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 16.09.41.png
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Yeah a while back I edited parts of the macOS wiki and added the fontfix directly into the script template same for the bash script template, added how to use winehq wine from a stock terminal session etc.

As for the blurry text that will have tocwait until I’m home to dig into it again as I can’t remenwbr off hand what those are
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

As for the blurry text that will have tocwait until I’m home to dig into it again as I can’t remenwbr off hand what those are
Thanks Gcenx that would be great!
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

Sorry to bother you Gcenx (and others), but did you have any information on this? Thanks.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

The code that seemed to help some of my users is the following

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
# Winetricks fontsmooth=rgb, improves look of fonts and helps fix UI problems
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002

It might not help much but it does resolve some issues including UI issues
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

Thanks Gcenx. I have all these set in the Registry Editor (see attached screenshot), expect I can't find where the "# Winetricks fontsmooth=rgb" that you mention is? I'm not using Winetricks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 16.29.05.png
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I should have removed that little note, I pulled that from my remakedefaults.reg from my Wineskin fork I have any additional registry setting I commented like that so I can see what each does at a glance.

In the case of that setting I pulled it from “Winetricks fontsmooth=rgb” so doing that exact command from winetricks would give the exact result as entering it manually.