.NET Framework problems

Questions about Wine on macOS.
alexthegreat38

.NET Framework problems

Post by alexthegreat38 »

Hello all,

For starters, I want to clarify that I have no knowledge of coding, software development, using the terminal, etc. So if possible, please explain any solutions you may have in the simplest terms possible. Thanks!

I am attempting to play Magic: The Gathering Online on my 2014 MacBook Pro using Wine.

I downloaded the most recent stable version of Wine last night and attempted to just run the .exe for the game.

While the game did not start, Wine appeared to successfully download some things it said it needed in order to run the game. Then when it hit the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64), it just sat there filling up and then resetting the loading bar. I left it overnight and it was still doing it when I woke up. I hit "cancel," but it just kept going, so I quit the "wine-preloader" program.

Now, every time I try to run the .exe file again, it attempts to download the .NET Framework again and I get the following error message:

"Component Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64) has failed to install with the following error message: 'A failure occurred attempting to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2.'

The following components failed to install:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (x86 and x64)

See the setup log file located at 'C:\users\Alex\Temp\VSD5fc1.tmp\install.log' for more information."

Any ideas on how I can get the .NET framework properly installed so I can run the game?

Thanks so much in advance!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: .NET Framework problems

Post by Gcenx »

What exact wine version are you using?

If your using 4.8 or above 64Bit is broken so downgrade to 4.7
alexthegreat38

Post by alexthegreat38 »

I'm on version 4.0.1
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You need to use winetricks to install dotnet correctly.

Install winetricks and it’s dependancies (use homebrew to install winetricks if your stuck)
Then using a clean wineprefix use winetricks to install dotnet452 or just go with dotnet46, manually installing dotnet into wine is know to fail