Cannot run game (No disc)

Questions about Wine on macOS.
antonbijl

Cannot run game (No disc)

Post by antonbijl »

Hi everyone

Total noob here.

I installed wine on OSX (Mojave, 10.14.4) to play an old windows game (FIFA Manager 2008) and managed to run the installer successfully. Installation seemed to go through without a hitch (prompted for license key, entered it, everything continued and appeared to be successful).

However, when I now try to run the game, not so much. I've managed to navigate to the dir where the game is installed and then run it (using wine manager08), which seems to start executing the exe, but then I get a dialog popping up that says "No disc inserted. Please insert the original FIFA Manager 08 CD/DVD". The disc is still in my DVD drive, but it somehow doesn't appear to know this. I found several posts suggesting mounting an iso, so I also tried copying the iso to my hard drive, mounting that (in winecfg I can see both the real DVD drive (d:) and the one mounted from the iso (f:), but still getting the same issue.

A little bit lost here. Is there anything else I need to do to get Wine to take note of the disc in the drive and/or the mounted iso? It seems like Wine knows about the drive (I was able to run the installer after all), but also not when the game launcher starts looking for it.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cannot run game (No disc)

Post by Gcenx »

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=9479

The section explains how to get the game working, but nobody can help you get the needed executable but I’m sure it will show up with an online search
antonbijl

Re: Cannot run game (No disc)

Post by antonbijl »

Thanks, that's not the same game though. I'm looking for the EA sports FIFA Manager 08, not the SportsInteractive Football Manager 2008. Similar, but not the same.

Unfortunately I don't see the EA FIFA Manager 08 in the app db. I did manager to find a no-cd version of it's Manager08.exe and this was a step in the right direction. With the new exe it appeared to start loading and I got the "EA SPORTS - It's in the game" splash screen, but then just a blank screen and when I finally exited got an error from Wine (when I click on the detail I get a "Loading detailed information, please wait...", but I've been waiting for about 10 minutes now, so I don't think it's going to happen).

Will try some more tomorrow, but thanks for the pointer so far!