Create wine tarball from customized code?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Create wine tarball from customized code?

Post by emendelson »

For various reasons, I would like to be able to create a wine tarball (or at least the contents of a tarball - the contents of the /usr directory) from slightly customized code. (I want to modify the keyboard.c file in winemac.drv.)

Are there instructions anywhere for creating the /usr directory that's in the wine tarballs? I've looked around but can't find any, and would be grateful for any pointers.
dimesio

Re: Create wine tarball from customized code?

Post by dimesio »

Moving to the macOS subforum, as I gather you're talking about the Mac binary tarballs and not Wine's source tarballs.

To modify Wine you are going to have to download the source code, either from git or a tarball, and modify that, then build your modified Wine yourself. If you're only doing it for yourself, there's no need to package it, as Wine can be run from the build directory. There are instructions for building Wine on macOS on https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS/Building.
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emendelson »

Thank you. It seems that I don't need to do this at all, because I've been told that wine 3.17+ maps the Windows Alt key to the Mac Option key - which is what I was hoping to do my modifying keyboard.c.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

emendelson wrote:Thank you. It seems that I don't need to do this at all, because I've been told that wine 3.17+ maps the Windows Alt key to the Mac Option key - which is what I was hoping to do my modifying keyboard.c.
I think you miss understood what I meant over there, I tried to make it clearer.
emendelson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emendelson »

You're right - I misunderstood. Thank you for the explanation over at portingteam.com!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

dimesio wrote:Moving to the macOS subforum, as I gather you're talking about the Mac binary tarballs and not Wine's source tarballs.

To modify Wine you are going to have to download the source code, either from git or a tarball, and modify that, then build your modified Wine yourself. If you're only doing it for yourself, there's no need to package it, as Wine can be run from the build directory. There are instructions for building Wine on macOS on https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS/Building.

Honestly those instructions need updating, who would I need to speak to about getting the macOS related sections updated?

I’m willing to update all the macOS sections for building wine and the other macOS related sections of the wiki so it includes relevant information that’s currently missing or outdated.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Gcenx wrote:I’m willing to update all the macOS sections for building wine and the other macOS related sections of the wiki so it includes relevant information that’s currently missing or outdated.
Tell me your wiki username and I will give your account edit permission.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

dimesio wrote:
Gcenx wrote:I’m willing to update all the macOS sections for building wine and the other macOS related sections of the wiki so it includes relevant information that’s currently missing or outdated.
Tell me your wiki username and I will give your account edit permission.
Seems I did t have a wiki account, I made one same username
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Gcenx wrote: Seems I did t have a wiki account, I made one same username
I've added you to the "Trustworthy" group, which enables you to create and edit pages.

Thanks for your help; the macOS info definitely needs work.