wine cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\filename.exe (mac)

Questions about Wine on macOS.
localcelebrity

wine cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\filename.exe (mac)

Post by localcelebrity »

I'm trying to open an .exe on a Mac via wine. When I open with wine and click go nothing happens - the file doesn't even open and there's no errors. I tried opening it via cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foldername/filename.exe and wine filename.exe in Terminal I get the error down below.

This is the first and only .exe I've encountered a problem with. I've used wine with TVPaint and NotePad and have had no problems at all. The .exe operates smoothly on a normal Windows computer so I don't think it's the file itself.

0029:err:hid_report:process_hid_report Device reports coming in too fast, last report not read yet!
0029:err:hid_report:process_hid_report Device reports coming in too fast, last report not read yet!
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\filename.exe"
MacBook-Air-2:Program Files MyName$ 0029:err:hid_report:process_hid_report Device reports coming in too fast, last report not read yet!
0029:fixme:seh:call_stack_handlers calling personality routine in system library not supported yet
0029:fixme:seh:call_stack_handlers calling personality routine in system library not supported yet
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x4380fac7 at address 0x431bd73e (thread 0029), starting debugger...
0029:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 32 44") (1115)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
0029:fixme:seh:RtlUnwindEx calling personality routine in system library not supported yet
0029:fixme:seh:RtlUnwindEx calling personality routine in system library not supported yet
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: wine cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\filename.exe (

Post by jkfloris »

I tried opening it via cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foldername/filename.exe and wine filename.exe
"cd" means Change Directory, the argument has to be a folder.
The commands should be:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/foldername/            #<-- without filename.exe
wine filename.exe
localcelebrity

Post by localcelebrity »

When I tried that I got this error

-bash: cd: /Users/MyName/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/foldername: No such file or directory

and

wine cannot find 'filename.exe'
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

That is a clear error. The location doesn't exists.
If there are weird characters in the name, use single quotes around the name.

Code: Select all

cd '/some location/ with/weird/<>\"/characters/'