Do I have to redownload Wine if I update to macOS Mojave?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Scientin
Level 2
Level 2

Do I have to redownload Wine if I update to macOS Mojave?

Post by Scientin »

Title is pretty self explanatory. It took me a good while to get wine to work properly on my El Capitan OS, and I'd rather not have to go through the struggle of re-downloading everything.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Do I have to redownload Wine if I update to macOS Mojave

Post by Gcenx »

Scientin wrote:Title is pretty self explanatory. It took me a good while to get wine to work properly on my El Capitan OS, and I'd rather not have to go through the struggle of re-downloading everything.
That depends how was Wine installed?
If you installed using the official .pkg giving you a wine.app/wine-devel.app/wine-staging.app it will continue to work.

If you installed wine via macports then do not upgrade as you will need to remove all of macports and you won’t be able to rebuild it fully without editing macports config to allow 32bit code to be compiled on Mojave combined with needing XCode9.4.1 instead of the AppStore default of XCode10.
If you installed via homebrew, remove and install again as wine on homebrew uses a cask it’s precompiled. (With default options if you change options you need to compile it just like macports)

However due to the security changes in Mojave you may be asked to give wine additional permissions depending on the game/application that was launched. And currently there is no known way to disable this unlike High Sierra and below.