Help installing Need For Speed Carbon - Mac OS X High Sierra

Questions about Wine on macOS.
ntinoskonsta

Help installing Need For Speed Carbon - Mac OS X High Sierra

Post by ntinoskonsta »

Hello! For the past week I've been trying to install Need For Speed Carbon on my Mac mini, which is running OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra. I jumped through hoops to get the right .exe from a site that didn't look too sketchy. I can get to the end of the installation process with both Wine and Wineskin, however I get the same error: When I tick the box to install DirectX, the installer runs into an error and fails. I assume there is a way to circumvent this using Winetricks, however I need help doing so.

It may be useful to you that I've accidentally downloaded the demo during my search and also gotten it to run perfectly.

Thanks in advance! :)
ntinoskonsta

Re: Help installing Need For Speed Carbon - Mac OS X High Si

Post by ntinoskonsta »

Update: I overcame the DirectX problem, but the file that gets installed on my desktop ends in .desktop and I can't open it. I tried changing it to .exe to no avail.
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SetantaLP »

The exe is installed in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" on the c-drive of your wine prefix. The file on your desktop is only a shortcut, that only works on Linux as far as I know, but under "Exec" it contains the command you need to start the exe.
ntinoskonsta

Post by ntinoskonsta »

Thanks, I found the exe. The problem now is that when I actually start the game, it hangs on a black screen. The only thing visible is an immovable cursor (which I can identify as the game's cursor) on the top left. I force quit and for some reason, the debugger seems to load the crash report forever.
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SetantaLP »

That's strange. Can you try to start the game by using the command line and then paste the output here, using code-tags? That might help to find the problem.