Arabic/ Regional Configuration

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Ilyas

Arabic/ Regional Configuration

Post by Ilyas »

Hi!

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before! I've searched the help topics and have found some answers, however when I have tried to implement them, they haven't worked!
I've tried using the suggestions for both Arabic and Hebrew, however the same issue occurs.

I'm new to wine so your contributions would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a MacBook running OS X and there is one single program that I need to run off it - hence why I don't want to use boot camp etc.
The program that I need to run is in arabic (menu, etc) however, when my MacBook's language is set to English the menu shows each character as a square box. I have tested the program whilst my computer language was set to Arabic and the menus rendered correctly. My question is, how do I run an Arabic program correctly whilst the system language is set to English?

I've tried to load the program with the command line: LANG=ar_SA wine /full path/program.exe which loads the program correctly, however the menus are rendered as squares! and not as they are when the system language is set to Arabic?

What am I doing incorrectly? How can I load the program with the regional configuration's language set to Arabic?
Also, when my systems language was set to Arabic, the font rendered correctly, however the text was pixilated and hard to read - how can I correctly install the font for Arabic programs?

Many Thanks!
Your contributions are appreciated....
dimesio

Re: Arabic/ Regional Configuration

Post by dimesio »

Ilyas

Post by Ilyas »

Thanks for the info!
However, sadly it doesn't work...

I've tried both variables: LANG=ar_SA.utf8 and LC_MESSAGES=ar_SA.UTF-8 both LANG and LC_MESSAGES cause the program to run. However, both show each character as a square box!

Any more suggestions?
Thanks
Ilyas

Post by Ilyas »

sorry... another question.

In OS X's locale directory /usr/share/locale/ there is no ar_SA locale
Is this the reason for wine not finding the arabic locale, or does wine use the arabic locale from a different location?

If wine relies on the OS X's default directory of /usr/share/locale/ - is there a site where I can download and install Arabic?

Thanks again.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Locales have to be installed on your system for Wine to use them. As to how to install one on a Mac, I'm afraid I can't help you, as I don't use macOS. Try asking on a Mac forum.
meelash

Post by meelash »

I was having this exact problem, trying to run maktabah shamilah on mac. Turns out, there is an easy workaround if your program doesn't actually need the unique contents of those locale directories in /usr/share/locales and just needs the variable set to the correct value: check the voted down answer

Just make a copy of any locale directory, change it to the correct name, such as ar_US.utf-8 and set LC_ALL, etc. Works like a charm.