winecfg pixelation on retina?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Marian_Devers

winecfg pixelation on retina?

Post by Marian_Devers »

wine --version
wine-3.6

Does anyone know how to fix the winecfg retina pixelation? Downgrading to xquartz 2.7.9 did not help.

I am attaching below a screenshot of winecfg. As you can see, the toolbar is rendered correctly, while the text and buttons are pixelated.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 13.07.26.png
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: winecfg pixelation on retina?

Post by Gcenx »

You would need to downgrade XQuartz-2.7.7
Due to the version of freetype included after XQuartz-2.7.7 after this causes that issues you are seeing.
Marian_Devers

Post by Marian_Devers »

Doesn't fix it.

Is it a font issue?

For example, when CCP builds the .wine (3.9 dev) environment, it looks normal. Compare it to the winehq build window.
Attachments
Wine Reg
Wine Reg
CCP wine building
CCP wine building
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Then I have to wonder do you have homebrew or macports installed since if one of those installs a newer version of libfreetype.6.dylib it will be used instead of the one included with XQuartz and you will get what you see currently.

The other way to fix it is to copy libfreetype.6.dylib (from XQuartz 2.7.7) into /lib/ /lib64/ inside the wine.app, then wine will use the included version instead of any external one.
Marian_Devers

Post by Marian_Devers »

Gcenx wrote:Then I have to wonder do you have homebrew or macports installed since if one of those installs a newer version of libfreetype.6.dylib it will be used instead of the one included with XQuartz and you will get what you see currently.

The other way to fix it is to copy libfreetype.6.dylib (from XQuartz 2.7.7) into /lib/ /lib64/ inside the wine.app, then wine will use the included version instead of any external one.
Great advice thanks.

Placing the correct libfreetype.6.dylib (original or alias) in /lib64/ allows you to build 64 environments, but placing the same file in /lib/ fails to build the correct wine32 environment.

wine cfg window hangs, regedit window opens but is blank.

Summary: this solves the issue for 64 bit environments, but not for 32
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Marian_Devers wrote:
Gcenx wrote:Then I have to wonder do you have homebrew or macports installed since if one of those installs a newer version of libfreetype.6.dylib it will be used instead of the one included with XQuartz and you will get what you see currently.

Great advice thanks.

Placing the correct libfreetype.6.dylib (original or alias) in /lib64/ allows you to build 64 environments, but placing the same file in /lib/ fails to build the correct wine32 environment.

wine cfg window hangs, regedit window opens but is blank.

Summary: this solves the issue for 64 bit environments, but not for 32
You need to place both the original file and its alias to it
libfreetype.6.dylib
libfreetype.dylib < Alias

I included a zip with none universal libs it includes /lib/ and /lib64/ with symbolic's included.