Questions about Wine on macOS.
uneasyE
Level 1
Level 1

.app files not working after wine installation

Post by uneasyE »

Starts very simple.

Mac Version of a game (basic .app file)
Either saying The application * can’t be opened or it bounces in the dock and disappears immediately.

This started on El Capitan.
I tried to use Wine to run the windows version of the previously mentioned game using all the information found here on this site.

It never worked no matter what I did,
I tried all different versions and other similar applications (PlayOnMac etc.)
I tried digging deep and figuring out why my wine would not run my .exe so I went on the forums here and started using the terminal commands I found from people with similar problems.
Again this did nothing.

I am normally very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but after a certain point I was in over my head and did something that reoccurs no matter what.

After giving up on trying to run an .exe
I went to start the Mac .app version of the game ( wanted two installs for two versions one of which is windows only )
Only to find that it won’t open.
“The application * can’t be opened.”
Or it bounces in the dock for a split second and disappears.

I have tried everything.. redownloading the game, disk repairs, double checking and fixing permissions,
Updating my current version of OS and trying to open it, then updating to Sierra, then wiping my hard disk and trying again. I’ve tried every troubleshooting tip on the subject also. It STILL happens. I’m currently reinstalling Sierra for the second time hoping it works..

Any one have any advice?
I’d really appreciate the help, this is such a complex problem that I’m worried it can’t be fixed..

P.S. + Another fresh OS install and game download with the same results again...
dimesio

Re: .app files not working after wine installation

Post by dimesio »

Are you asking for help getting the Mac version of the game running, or the Windows version running in Wine? This forum is for Wine questions only, so if it's the Mac version, you need to seek help elsewhere, e.g., either on the game forum or a Mac forum.

As for getting the Windows version running in Wine, we can try to help, but if the Mac version doesn't work either, it seems likely that the problem is with your host system rather than Wine. Are you sure your system (esp. GPU) meets the minimum requirements of the game?

You haven't given us enough information for me to say more than that. What game is this, and have you checked the AppDB for known issues/workarounds? What version of Wine are you using and where did you get it from? Note that third party Wine versions such as Wineskin, Winebottler, and PlayOnMac are not supported here. If you haven't tested the WineHQ packages, please do so.

If the problem is present in the current development or staging release of plain Wine, post complete terminal output, including the command used to run the game.