Sandboxing WineHQ for FFXIV and ACT

Questions about Wine on macOS.
DavidDrake

Sandboxing WineHQ for FFXIV and ACT

Post by DavidDrake »

I understand that WineHQ isn’t natively sandboxed, that it’s a comparability later. Is it possible to only allow WineHQ to only work with a few programs? If so, could you help me understand how? I really just want to run ACT with WineHQ and FFXIV. I don’t need to run a bunch of other programs. I’ve heard of sandboxing, and thought there might be a way to do this, but I’m not entirely sure how to do this.

If the above isn’t possible, can I just keep the WineHQ Mac app in the trash, until I need it for ACT and FFXIV, then restore it to the apps folder?

If WineHQ app is in the trash, will it still run Windows programs if I leave the virtual C drive intact (yes, silly question, but I don’t want my cpu exposed to a bunch of viruses and I’m trying to figure out a work around if sandboxing isn’t possible).

Please help.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Sandboxing WineHQ for FFXIV and ACT

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Storing a program in trash is a really bad idea. When a program is just lying around, it doesn't do harm, why do you think you have to move it to trash? If you don't use wine to run any other programs than those you trust, why would you be exposed to viruses?
DavidDrake

Post by DavidDrake »

It’s a compatibility layer. So if I go to a site that I believe is safe, but isn’t, then my cpu is infected because windows viruses can wreak havoc on a Mac. I only want to use WineHQ for the Final Fantasy XIV game and Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT). I’ve no other need for it at the present moment.

1. If the program, not the virtual C Drive, is stored in the trash (or put somewhere like Dropbox) while I’m not using it, will the compatibility layer work?

2. Does placing the Virtual C Drive in a password protected folder prevent WineHQ’s compatibility layer from functioning? If so, then all I’d have to do is lock it down when not in use.

3. Is it possible to Sandbox WineHQ to only have the compatibility layer only work with a few programs (e.g. FFXIV and ACT)? If so, please help me understand how to do this.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

DavidDrake wrote:It’s a compatibility layer. So if I go to a site that I believe is safe, but isn’t, then my cpu is infected because windows viruses can wreak havoc on a Mac.
Wine doesn't just up and run things on its own. A Windows-only virus will not execute in a native browser even if Wine is installed on the system. You would have to download the thing and intentionally run it.