Problems loading Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 DLLs

Questions about Wine on macOS.
franco_lovato
Level 1
Level 1

Problems loading Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 DLLs

Post by franco_lovato »

Hello everybody
I'm quite new to wine, I used it to run some simple .exe programs on OS X 10.12.6 with wine3.0, which I installed through the installer with both 32 and 64 bit options activated.
I'm currently unable to run a .exe which needs Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 DLLs in order to run. So, I downloaded the installer from Microsoft's website, run it with Wine and everything (apparently) went fine. The DLLs have been installed in .wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64/: I wasn't able to understand if this is the right place for them to be, so this is one possible source of problems.
When I run the .exe with wine, it says that the loading of mfc140.dll (which is one of the above mentioned DLLs) failed. Now, I tried many suggestions to similar problems, but none worked; the possible causes of the problem that I found are:

- Confusion from 32/64 bit coexistence
- Permissions needed to run the program (there should be none, but I'm not 100% sure)
- DLLs in the wrong directory (I already tried to move them in system and system32, with no effect)

I tried, as suggested, to install winetricks in order to properly install the needed libraries: but when I try to use it it says:
warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!
and
wineserver not found!

I wasn't able to find a solution for this issue.

So, any suggestion on what could cause this problem?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problems loading Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 DLLs

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Probably another instance of Bug30713.

Are you running wineskin? Because if so, you have to use that: Click Advanced -> Click Tools -> Click winetricks
franco_lovato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by franco_lovato »

No, I’m not running wineskin. Should I, and if so why? I’m trying to learn as much as I can about wine,
I’d like to be able to run some programs for work.

Thanks for your reply!
Franco
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

franco_lovato wrote:No, I’m not running wineskin. Should I, and if so why?
No, it's just that that's a known problem when using wineskin.
How did you install wine?
franco_lovato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by franco_lovato »

I used the installer from the official website. I left everything set as default, just enabled the 64bit option.