Wine issue with msiexec -i,

Questions about Wine on macOS.
meltman
Level 1
Level 1

Wine issue with msiexec -i,

Post by meltman »

When trying to start an MSI installer I'm receiving the following:
C02RD0DTFVH4-82:~ bob.burger$ wine msiexec -i ~/Downloads/Contents/Resources/BroadSign+Administrator-12_1_0-13.msi
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x400074e4 (thread 0029), starting debugger...
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
C02RD0DTFVH4-82:~ bob.burger$ 002c:err:dbghelp_stabs:stabs_parse Unknown stab type 0x0a

I'm a bit confused. I was initially able to install the application but deleted it. Now I'm unable to install it again.
Wine 3.0 Stable
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3

Any thoughts?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine issue with msiexec -i,

Post by Bob Wya »

@meltman

That should be:

Code: Select all

wine msiexec /i ....
See: WineHQ Wiki: Msiexec.

You know this forum has Code:

Code
tags? Please use them in future - for terminal output and commands!

Bob
meltman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meltman »

Sorry. I'll use code blocks.

C02RD0DTFVH4-82:~ bob.burger$ msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Contents/Resources/BroadSign+Administrator-12_1_0-13.msi
Correcting the flag results in the same error and no install.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Bob Wya wrote:That should be:

wine msiexec /i ....
See: WineHQ Wiki: Msiexec.
Indeed, but actually, -i intentionally works as well.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

meltman wrote:Sorry. I'll use code blocks.

C02RD0DTFVH4-82:~ bob.burger$ msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Contents/Resources/BroadSign+Administrator-12_1_0-13.msi
Correcting the flag results in the same error and no install.
That error is nothing to do with Wine anyway...

Sorry - but Apple Rant/

That's just Apple's new(TM) NIH Apple FileSystem being broken proprietary garbage...
They do everything possible to avoid using a real, mature BSD filesystem like ZFS - what a total joke.
My choice in using Linux - is that I'm not locked into HFS/APFS or NTFS... Which all suck balls.

Bob
meltman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meltman »

Ok, the filesystem is being broken - unfortunately I cant exactly rollback from APFS at this stage.

Is this complaining about being able to decompress the msi? What alternatives do I have to get the msi installer to work?

Obviously this was working as intended before High Sierra. Is this issue being tracked as a bug (even though it's apple's) to find a workaround?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

meltman wrote:Ok, the filesystem is being broken - unfortunately I cant exactly rollback from APFS at this stage.

Is this complaining about being able to decompress the msi? What alternatives do I have to get the msi installer to work?

Obviously this was working as intended before High Sierra. Is this issue being tracked as a bug (even though it's apple's) to find a workaround?
A further thought...
Everytime you are posting terminal output, with the "corrected" msi command, you are a putting the terminal command as:

msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Contents/Resources/BroadSign+Administrator-12_1_0-13.msi
In addition I see no indication that you have actually run wine at all - as the terminal output has no Wine debug messages.

That should be:

wine msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Contents/Resources/BroadSign+Administrator-12_1_0-13.msi
As I have already pointed out... I assume Apple provide copy-paste functionality in Mac-OS?? :wink:

Conjecture...
The Apple shell might have a legitimate complaint - in that the msiexec isn't a valid shell command.
There is probably a quick lookup for a supported magic filetype - and a failure to find a supported type.

Bob
meltman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meltman »

Sorry. That was a result from me modifying my username in the post.

Here's the version with "wine" tacked on the front.

C02RD0DTFVH4-82:~ bob.burger$ wine msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Contents/Resources/BroadSign+Administrator-12_1_0-13.msi
C02RD0DTFVH4-82:~ bob.burger$ 
I see several recent posts regarding this same output as well. I know I'm not the only one seeing this issue.
https://www.winehq.org/search/?q=ChunkC ... n.cpp%3A50
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

meltman wrote:Sorry. That was a result from me modifying my username in the post.

I see several recent posts regarding this same output as well. I know I'm not the only one seeing this issue.
https://www.winehq.org/search/?q=ChunkC ... n.cpp%3A50
That's what I suspected - but had to double check!
Yup a quick Google search raised a few threads discussing similar APFS error messages.

Wine will support creating a WINEPREFIX on an exfat formatted partition.
I believe Apple supports exfat - so you could try creating a small partition on your main drive or an external device.
Then create a test WINEPREFIX on that - and retest your application installer.

Bob
meltman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meltman »

Thanks. Testing that workaround I've discovered some interesting behavior.

If I copy the installer in the exfat volume it will open, though the compressor errors remain.
If I copy the installer on my Desktop dir it will open, same compressor errors (APFS volume)
If I immediately go back and run the same installer from the Downloads folder it will NOT open.

I'm actually trying to package this with an installer, which it also will not run from. Wondering if I should wrap it up into a DMG and see if it will launch from a mounted DMG.