Winetricks Option - upload image via vb form w/ progress bar

Questions about Wine on macOS.
tdwine_ma

Winetricks Option - upload image via vb form w/ progress bar

Post by tdwine_ma »

I have created an vb application program with windows xp and Microsoft Visual Studio that maintains the content of a client database, which has client information, pictures, and resume files.

The first version of the program worked well on a MAC using the right options within Winetricks.

It has been modified to allow a user to upload new images for clients and adds the image filename to the db as well.

It works fine in Windows 7 ans XP, but after using Winetricks again to make it compatible to use on a MAC,
the file uploading does not seem to work, and the upload progress bar on the form doesn't change - both work in Windows,
but on the MAC I must not have the right / additional settings in Winetricks selected/available.

Can someone please help me to know how to make this work?

DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Winetricks Option - upload image via vb form w/ progress

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Well, first please explain what you're trying to do, how it looks on windows and how it looks on a mac. Screenshots help a lot.
Then note what exactly you're doing with winetricks. Why do you need winetricks in the firstplace? Does using winetricks introduce a new error, or what exactly is the problem? Can't you run it without winetricks?
And best, if possible, provide us a demo program so we can test it.
tdwine_ma

Re: Winetricks Option - upload image via vb form w/ progress

Post by tdwine_ma »

I had to think about your question "Why do you need winetricks in the firsplace?" since I am really a PC developer using wine and winetricks as a beginner, for a client who needs his acting database program to work on both PCs and MACs. Maybe I did not need winetricks with wine in the first place? ... Let me explain ...

( I tried to upload a .rtf file from wordpad containing 2 screenshots but it didn't work - maybe FF browser problem? )

I created a VB.Net application program on a Windows 7 PC for my client, which is a Actors Info/DB Management Utility which allows browsing through a MySQL database, and also allows uploading NEW Actors' pictures within the program, that were uploaded initially through a web page form.

I had thought that winetricks was needed automatically because my program uses both MySql.Data.MySqlClient and System.Net which are both .Net Imports needed for the VB program to work on a PC, and I assumed that the winetricks options for dotnet 2.0 and 4.0, and also the SQL options, were automatically needed for wine to make the program work on a MAC.

I will post the exact winetricks options that I selected in my next response, I just don't have the time right at the moment. But I have included a wordpad doc showing 2 screenshots of two essential code segments showing the Imports that allow a PC to do the MySQL and File Uploading.

Also, what I did to make the program work on a MAC was to install the program on a PC, which is working completely fine, then copied the installed files from the PC folder including the .exe file, into a folder on the MAC which was then accessed via wine with winetricks options to create the MAC file to run on a MAC.

The SQL part of the program works fine, and worked fine the first time before I added the file/picture uploading. Now what I am having a problem with is the picture upload.

Maybe I didn't need winetricks with wine to make the .NET app work on a MAC? because all of the installed files including the .exe are part of the wine conversion to make it work on a MAC? I don't know the answer to this - I had just assumed winetricks were needed because of the related options within winetricks listed.