Wine support on 10.13 High Sierra with APFS

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Slaz

Wine support on 10.13 High Sierra with APFS

Post by Slaz »

Hi there, and sorry for a bit of a long question.

I'm running Wine on 2 Mac systems that have both been upgraded to MacOS 10.13 since recent times. One's a MacBook Air (Early 2015) and the other's a Mac Mini (Late 2014).

I've had no problems with the Mac Mini, but for some reason the MacBook Air persists to not function with Wine at all. Opening anything through any engine of Wine, whether it's through one of the common wrappers or through the terminal, will result in the wine processes 'hanging' in the background. I can force close any process created by Wine and the wine processes themselves, yet shutting down the system will keep the shutdown process hanging forever (with the visual spinning wheel on screen). The 2 Mac's are nearly identical concerning software.

The only major difference is the CPU with the MacBook Air having a newer Intel graphics chipset, and the Air having an SSD where the Mini has a traditional HDD.

Since 10.13 is fairly new, I couldn't find documentation or similar experiences that lead to a solution, so I began looking into it for a bit.

I've tried the commonly suggested solutions, like fixing file permissions, switching between the X11 and Mac Driver, and tried to apply winetricks such as video memory size and direct3d support. But to even try to apply the winetricks will invoke the Wine processes that hang. I even tried loading Wine from a USB pen drive formatted with FAT32 but still nothing.

The only, and ONLY thing that WILL work is running Wine while MacOS is in safe boot mode, which would suggest it's a problem with either a driver (graphics?) or any additional features related to the APFS file system. I'm definitely not the only person affected as the CrossOver forums had some reports of it's customers that were the same or very similar.

So, could someone with an APFS formatted Mac and in particular, the MacBook Air (Airly 2015) try out Wine and possibly try to find and troubleshoot possible causes for the problem?
Slaz

Re: Wine support on 10.13 High Sierra with APFS

Post by Slaz »

For some reason, I have solved the problem by (I think) fixing permissions through Disk Utility.

I have no idea why it gave kernel panics, that may've been an APFS instability in conjunction with wrong permissions.

So to anyone having problems on Wine with High Sierra, try running the Disk Utility and do the full health check (either the UI one or through terminal diskutil.