properly fresh, please help.

Questions about Wine on macOS.
jacktwtw
Level 1
Level 1

properly fresh, please help.

Post by jacktwtw »

right, i'm desperate for some laymen help, I'm almost completely clueless when it comes to these sort of things but here's where i'm at. I have a 2012 MacBook pro running high sierra. i want to play an old windows game (because nostalgia) so far i have managed to install wine stable and also at least the EXE demo which apparently opens with wine, as of yet once trying to fire it up nothings happens, i've also gone into wine configuration but cannot see what i should do next. Please could somebody give me a thicko's run down of what to do next?
jaywalterweatherman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: properly fresh, please help.

Post by jaywalterweatherman »

I’ll try to help; I’m not terribly knowledgeable myself but I can give it a shot. What’s the game? It might be easiest if I’m looking at the same thing.
jacktwtw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jacktwtw »

thank's for the reply dude, it's "dawn of war, the dark crusade"
jaywalterweatherman
Level 1
Level 1

Well, it looks like the install is working for me, so let's start there - I didn't complete the install because it isn't clear to me that you got this far. I'm assuming you didn't, and that when you say "installed the EXE demo" you just mean downloaded it, and didn't get to see that installer run - but maybe I'm misreading you. Let me know if I'm wrong, or if I'm right, give what's below a try, and let me know what happens once the installer is done.

Open Wine. You should get a console window that pops up. You want to do what it says at the top of the screen:

"In order to start a program:
.exe: wine program.exe"

Which means you type the word "wine" and then the complete filepath & filename of the .exe file, and hit return. (Instead of typing the complete filepath, you can just drag the file over to that window and drop it in place, and it'll insert the filepath for you - very helpful).

Also, where are you getting the "apparently opens with wine" info from? When I look up that game in the wine app database, I see tons of reports that it works with Linux, but none about Macs. I made the mistake of not seeing that distinction myself (because you have to click further into the database) with another game; I think that could stand to be more clear.
jacktwtw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jacktwtw »

okay so i've managed to get everything up and running, not entirely sure how but i'm green lit! thanks for the help with all that jay, only issue now is that i can't seem to get multiplayer/online, possibly i assume to Xfire no longer being around..
jaywalterweatherman
Level 1
Level 1

nice, have fun