Steam won't launch

Questions about Wine on macOS.
tremyx
Level 1
Level 1

Steam won't launch

Post by tremyx »

I have gotten everything installed correctly up to launching steam. I can run other .exe's in wine fine but when i try to run steam it won't launch. after theI've run the installer .exe which has successfully launched and i've gone through all the user agreements and language selection, all that. then i try the actual steam .exe (and this goes the same for for ticking launch immediately at the end of the installer) the wine icon will briefly appear in my dock and then immediately disappear. I'm sure i'll have to do the font thing when that inevitably doesn't work but I can't start the application. Someone please help.

i have attempted this using windows xp and windows 7. my mac is on El Capitan 10.11.6 2.4 GHz Intel core i7, 16Gb MHz DDR3, Nvidia GeForce Gt 650M 512MB with 179 GB of free space. This is my first attempt at using wine.

p.s. this is also what happens when I attempt to install via winetricks and when I use winebottler to make steam its own app outside of my Winefiles folder.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
tremyx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Steam won't launch *Edit*

Post by tremyx »

Once steam has installed, when i run steam.exe it will update immediately, once its finished updating, the steam folder get filled with drivers and friend folders and all sorts of files. then it closes. I'll have a file called steam.exe and steam.exe.old, neither of which run.
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Steam won't launch

Post by SetantaLP »

Can you try starting steam via terminal? (That can help finding the error, based on the terminal output.) And which wine-version do you use? As far as i know you need at least wine devel 2.13 or stable 2.0.2 to run steam.
And and did you install the components mentioned on the AppDB page?
markwozere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markwozere »

I'm having the same problem.

It was working perfectly fine last night but tonight whenever I open steam.exe the wine icon appears in my dock but disappears as soon as I click something even if it is just a blank space on the desktop.

I am a complete wine novice so will need a real step by step guide how to get this working (sorry).
markwozere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markwozere »

My Mac spec is:-

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
MacOSsierra Version 10.12.6

I am using Wine 2.0-rc6
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SetantaLP »

You have to use at least wine devel 2.13, staging 2.12 or stable 2.0.2. Older versions are not able to run steam due to a wine bug (see appdb). For me steam works perfectly, but I'm using OS X 10.10.5 wine on 32bit in winXP mode and I installed steam as recommended on the appdb page (use winetricks to install steam and then install d3dx9_42, vcrun2008 and xact via winetricks). And I used the -no-cef-sandbox parameter when I launch steam.

One last note: use terminal to launch steam (just click the wine icon in your programs-folder and a terminal window will open up), that makes debuging a lot easier. And it allows you to choose which wine-prefix you want to use.
markwozere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markwozere »

Strange that steam was working perfectly fine for me Friday but then not Saturday using the same wine version.

So trying to install the current stable version 2.0.2. Downloaded the file on my Mac and open the file that is downloaded and all it does is create a new file wine-2.0.2.tar.xz.cpgz.

I am a complete novice with this stuff, all I want to do is run steam on windows on my Mac. Thought this would be a relatively simple process to download a file, open it and done. But I'm probably doing something wrong which is why it seems complicated to me right now. Anyone able to provide me with an idiots guide to installing wine?

Sorry for this but I guess it will help all novices like me.
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SetantaLP »

The problem might be, that steam has done a self-update on Saturday to the current version, which is not compatible with older wine-versions. So when was the last time you used steam before Friday?

So for a wine-novice it might be the best to use the installer (see download-page), because that gives you an .app which opens a completely prepared terminal window on startup. So you don't have to set the path to the binaries manually and you don't have to compile wine on your own.

I would also recommend to use a separate Wine-prefix for each program you want to run, because it prevent conflicts between programs (or components you may have installed to run a specific program.) and it makes it easier to remove prefixes that you no longer need or recreate a prefix if something is horribly broken (e.g while you are testing things). And if you need the exact same prefix you can just copy it.

To create a prefix simply start the Wine.app and paste the following code into the window (for the path simply drag the folder where you want your wineprefix-folder to be created into the terminal and add "/" followed by the name for the prefix)

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=<path to your prefix> WINEARCH=<win32 or win64> winecfg
Now you have a new prefix which you can configure however you want. If you want to install steam you can download the official installer and use the following code to execute it:

WINEPREFIX=<path to your prefix> wine <path to SteamSetup.exe>
And again, the easiest way to get the correct path is drag the folder/exe and drop it into the terminal-window.

Another way would be installing via winetricks, which can be very helpful to install programs (like steam and also some games) and additional components (like dlls), because you only have to say, what you want to install, and winetricks will do the rest.
Getting winetricks is quite easy. Just download it from github, use "chmod +x winetricks" to make is executable. But this way can lead into problems, because you sometimes need additional libraries to run winetricks.
So it might be easier to install winetricks by using a package manager like homebrew, macports or fink (I would suggest homebrew because you only need the "Command line tools" and not the full Xcode installation, and it's quite easy to install) After installing the package manager you can install wine tricks (in case of homebrew the command is "brew install winetricks"), which will also install all necessary dependencies.

One important note: the winetricks installation and all other things you do by using winetricks should happen in the terminal window that opens up, when you start the wine.app. If not, winetricks will complain that wine is not installed or maybe install an additional wine-version inside "/usr/bin" or "/usr/local".

Now you can use winetricks. If you want to install steam just type the following:

WINEPREFIX=<path to your prefix> winetricks steam
In this state, steam may not work completely (at least for me it has some problems even when i use -no-cef-sandbox), so I installed d3dx9_42, vcrun2008 and xact (one after another) by using winetricks.

Oh, that post is a little bit long, but I hope it helps. If you have any questions, just ask. I'll try to answer as fast as I can.
markwozere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markwozere »

Managed to download it now and all working properly.

Thanks for your help!

This is what forums are all about. Keep up the good work everyone.
tremyx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tremyx »

looking at the wine console, I'm getting this error:

9/29/17 11:10:42.893 AM appleeventsd: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22

followed by this error 3 times:

9/29/17 11:10:43.105 AM launchservicesd: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22

over and over, like 6 times each time i try to start steam.exe
tremyx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tremyx »

also getting this error periodically:

9/29/17 11:17:43.794 AM WindowServer[179]: send_datagram_available_ping: pid 402 failed to act on a ping it dequeued before timing out.
tremyx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tremyx »

I also just tried launching from the terminal and it's telling me this:

-bash: /Users/dougmyers/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe: cannot execute binary file
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SetantaLP »

Launching an exe via terminal is like launching a jar via terminal. You need a tool, which launches the exe for you (in this case it's wine). So if you want to launch steam you need to write at least

wine <path to steam.exe>
in your case

wine /Users/dougmyers/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe
The problem in your case is, that it seems, you are using wine-bottler and not wine. So if you have problems you should install plain-wine (see download-page), start the app (which opens a terminal-window) and install steam by using

wine <path to steamSetup.exe>
(to get the path just drag and drop the exe into the terminal window).
kevin08

Post by kevin08 »

did you try searching winehq about steam?

take it from me, whenever you install anything on wine always search google to find out if wine needs additional components to run the program. especially if it's a game!

...here's what I have for you https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=19444

scroll down to the "how-to-install" part. it might fix your problem.... I hope

: )