Help Please! Wine Bottler USB Write Protected

Questions about Wine on macOS.
GETTY88

Help Please! Wine Bottler USB Write Protected

Post by GETTY88 »

Hi everyone,

Please excuse me as I'm new to this, not having required to use any windows programs before now.

I know this forum is for Wine users but I was hoping you could possibly help.

I successfully installed an exe program on my MacBook using Wine & Winebottler.

The program loads fine however, when I insert my USB it displays a message indicating the USB is write protected and I must change permissions in order to continue. I am trying to update my cars multimedia system.

I really don't want to have to/can't buy a copy of windows just for this. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks in advance.
dimesio

Re: Help Please! Wine Bottler USB Write Protected

Post by dimesio »

First, as you've noted, Winebottler isn't supported here. Normally I'd tell you to try plain Wine, but in the case of USB devices, that's unlikely to help. Wine only supports standard USB devices with native drivers, e.g., printers, mice, keyboards, scanners, drives that can be mounted as standard mass storage devices. Other types of USB devices might work if the communication is pure serial over USB, but you will have to map the device to a COM port for Wine to see it.
it displays a message indicating the USB is write protected and I must change permissions in order to continue
Have you checked the write permissions on whatever it is you're trying to connect? You may need to run Wine as root to update firmware. Running Wine as root is generally not recommended, and I really wouldn't recommend trying to update any firmware through Wine unless you are comfortable with the possibility of bricking the device.