Running C# Windows Forms 64 bit application

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Tobiasz931

Running C# Windows Forms 64 bit application

Post by Tobiasz931 »

Hi,

I'm trying to run C# application made for Windows using Windows Forms on Mac. The problem is I need to use 64 bit mode as it uses a lot of memory (it has to).
I can compile and run it on MacOSX using Mac's mono, but only in 32 bit mode. 64 bit mode crashes instantly as Windows Forms are not ported to Mac.

I can also run it with Wine, even with Wine64, using Wine-mono, but it only runs it in 32 bit mode.
I've installed Wine devel 2.11, Wine-mono 4.7 and both x86 and x86_64 wine gecko 2.47.
There's libmono-2.0-x86_64.dll, but I can even rename it and it changes nothing. However if I rename it to libmono-2.0-x86.dll and use it instead of regular x86 one - it simply can't load mono.

How do I make it use mono in 64bit mode?

Thanks in advance!
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Running C# Windows Forms 64 bit application

Post by madewokherd »

If you compile your exe for the x64 platform (-platform:x64 if you're using mcs), Wine should load it in a 64-bit process.

Ideally, the Wine loader would recognize an 'anycpu' .NET executable and load it using the native architecture, but currently it's not able to do this.
Tobiasz931

Post by Tobiasz931 »

Thanks, I compiled it only for x64 platform now, but if I try to run it with Wine64 I get an error:
err:process:start_process L"path\\to\\.exe" doesn't have an entry point, it cannot be executed

Does it mean it's not fully implemented?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

Can you try with Wine Staging? It has some patches that might help with this case.