Final Fantasy XI Can't figure out how to start installation

Questions about Wine on macOS.
bebebebe444

Final Fantasy XI Can't figure out how to start installation

Post by bebebebe444 »

Hello. I am completely new to Wine and I am very computer illiterate. I'm terrible with computers. Anyway, I'm having a really hard time trying to run the game FFXI in Wine. I've been at this for days on end all day and I'm losing it, I just can't figure this out no matter what I do.

I downloaded MacPorts and used that to install Wine. After that, I downloaded four files from PlayOnline's site. I then used an extractor to extract all of the files manually rather than by using the FFXISETUP.exe that was included, as instructed on the how-to guide on FFXI's WineHQ page.

I then try to change directory in Terminal, and I change the directory to where PlayOnline's setup.exe file is located. Then, I type wine setup.exe and get this error message:

Code: Select all

My-iMac:PlayOnline MyUsername$ wine setup.exe
err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW
wine: Call from 0x7b42737d to unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW called at address 0x7b42737d (thread 000b), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 10 36") (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
err:module:attach_process_dlls "gdi32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Users\\MyUsername\\Documents\\Games\\FINALFANTASYXI.Data\\PlayOnline\\setup.exe" failed, status c0000005
Any help would be appreciated. And I'm sure this won't be the end of the problems. I have no idea how Wine works and I'm terrible with computers so simple instructions please. Thank you. I'm at my wit's end...
bebebebe444

Re: Final Fantasy XI Can't figure out how to start installat

Post by bebebebe444 »

Sorry for double posting but I couldn't figure out how to edit my post. Anyway, I think I may have a fully installed version of the game on an old Windows desktop of mine. Would copying that onto my iMac and trying to use Wine to run that be easier than trying to run the setups? I don't know if I can transfer it easily but if it would overall be easier than trying to run the setups I could try it?
bebebebe444

Re: Final Fantasy XI Can't figure out how to start installat

Post by bebebebe444 »

Nvermind, I got the game to work using Wineskin