Distributing/packaging wine with a game launcher

Questions about Wine on macOS.
judge2020

Distributing/packaging wine with a game launcher

Post by judge2020 »

Hello, I am looking for advice and help on distributing/packaging wine with a launcher for a game. Currently, the game is only for windows (while native cross-platform support is coming soon) however for the time being I have created a launcher for it which uses Wine for actual launching purposes.

The project is open-sourced at https://github.com/judge2020/AltisLaunc ... ller.swift for reference (The core line is L160). The game runs fine, however, I do have some legal questions and possible better integration:

1. Redistributing wine. Currently, I include the wine package and xQuartz that works with the installation (2.0 staging) in the .dmg file.This may break the xquartz or wine license. If so I can ask for users to download these themselves.

2. better integration: Users are asked to run wine once before using the application to generate the wine prefix and install mono/gecko (things the program uses). I would like to know if there is a way either during setup or at runtime to do this automatically. Or a way to specify prefix at launch. (this would be downloaded by the launcher at runtime).

3. Possible wine cocoa framework? This is probably far-fetched since I can't seem to find any mention of it elsewhere, but is there a wine cocoa framework I could embed?