Wine no longer able to run winecfg (2.0-rc6 macOS Sierra)

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Sparen
Level 2
Level 2

Wine no longer able to run winecfg (2.0-rc6 macOS Sierra)

Post by Sparen »

Yesterday, everything was fine. The .wine I had been using for about a year at the very least worked, etc. Then I ran a shell script that ran wine with env.

Something broke the first time. Rerunning the script allowed Wine to work correctly and finish the execution of the script.

After that, wine would no longer run.

In the end, I reinstalled wine and purged my old prefix after backing up the parts I needed to keep. However, now when I run winecfg, it creates /dosdevices with the two aliases, drive_c/windows/system32 (empty), drive_c/windows/win.ini, system.reg, and user.reg.

It does not create anything else - no Program Files, no contents in system32, nothing. winecfg, after a few minutes, will then time out with the following:

Code: Select all

err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
And of course, the winecfg GUI does not appear, and I must force quit the terminal.

At this point, all applications I try to run with wine will time out the same way - nothing can be run, even after resetting my prefix, reinstalling xQuartz, and reinstalling Wine. Short of purging and reinstalling the entirety of MacPorts, I have no idea what the problem is or what I can do to fix it.

Wine Devel 2.0-rc6 on macOS Sierra 10.12.3. Worked yesterday, did not work today. If anyone could shed light upon the situation and assist me in getting wine back up and running so that I can continue with AppDB-related testing, that would be fabulous.

Thank you.

~~~

As a clarification, the ONLY things that changed between Wine working yesterday and Wine not working today were:
--running the shell script that ran wine with env variables
--Updating OS to 10.12.3

If the update of macOS is the issue, then that will require further investigation and hopefully a workaround before 2.0 is released.
Sparen
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine no longer able to run winecfg (2.0-rc6 macOS Sierra

Post by Sparen »

I restarted my computer to shut down all the half-complete processes and got the following:

After computer restart:

MacBook-Pro:~ andrewfan$ winecfg
err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW
wine: Call from 0x7b427241 to unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW called at address 0x7b427241 (thread 000b), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 10 36") (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
err:module:attach_process_dlls "gdi32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000005
Upon removing existing prefix and attempting reset

MacBook-Pro:~ andrewfan$ rm -rf .wine
MacBook-Pro:~ andrewfan$ winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/Users/andrewfan/.wine'
err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load user32.dll.CreateDialogParamW
wine: Call from 0x7b427241 to unimplemented function user32.dll.CreateDialogParamW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function user32.dll.CreateDialogParamW called at address 0x7b427241 (thread 000b), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 10 40") (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe" failed, status c0000005
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000005
I've never seen these before and don't know how to address them, so if anyone can provide a solution, that would be greatly appreciated. As a note, these messages were immediate - wine did not wait and time out.
Hans_N
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hans_N »

Not sure if that will be of much help to you, but I had no luck running wine-devel from MacPorts at all in macOS Sierra. The startup took ages, with no window appearing whatsoever and one of the wine processes eating up an entire CPU core. I don't really remember the messages from console anymore. Looking at the files opened, it looked like it got stuck trying to catalog fonts.

Afterwards, I've found out there are now official binary builds of Wine for macOS (https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html), and that worked well for me, apart from having to downgrade XQuartz (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41639). Additional bonus: I don't need have half of my ports installed in a universal variant.
Sparen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sparen »

After purging the files in .local/share/applications related to wine and doing a clean MacPorts + Wine Devel reinstall, I am still able to reproduce the issue above.
Sparen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sparen »

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42301

Bug has already been reported and marked as a problem with MacPorts support for the new version of the OS.